Chapter 9 POV Elsie

"She is not alone," Vincent says.

Bryan's initial reaction seems to mistake him for a kidnapper, as I faintly hear him say, "How much ransom do you want?"

Vincent rubs his temples and reveals his name.

A minute later, Bryan calms down.

"Sorry, Mr. Vincent, I'm really sorry. I'll send her assistant to accompany her now."

"No need," Vincent says. "The infusion is almost over. My home is nearby; I'll take her back to rest afterward."

There is a long silence on the other end of the phone.

"Any problem?" Vincent asks.

"Okay, but, Mr. Vincent, you know..." Bryan pauses for a moment and then says, "Please remember to wear a mask when entering and leaving the hospital."

After hanging up, Vincent hands me the phone and, as per Bryan's instructions, goes outside to find a nurse for a mask.

When he returns, he stares at his mask and then at mine, saying, "I understand your career requires you to wear a mask. But the paparazzi don't know me, so why should I wear one too?"

"...," I swallow, and then translate Bryan's words as tactfully as possible: "He means... he wants you to be humble; act as my life assistant just in case."

But the next moment, Vincent's expression does turn unpleasant.

At three in the morning, the rain has stopped.

Vincent takes me back.

For the first time, we do nothing; we just embrace each other in bed. I close my eyes, feeling that tonight's dream will be sweet.

I wake up at noon.

It is the weekend, and Vincent doesn't work.

I ask if I can stay a little longer at his house.

He smiles and says, "Sure, just lie down. I ordered takeout; I'll call you when it arrives."

But I shake my head and say, "I'm okay now."

I go to the bathroom and splash my face in front of the mirror.

I can spend a whole day with Vincent.

This realization excites me for no reason, completely masking the last bit of discomfort from the fever.

After brunch, with nothing to do, we watch a movie together in his home theater.

It is a war movie.

But I didn't expect the love story between the main characters to be portrayed in such detail.

Midway through the film, they have to separate, and they kiss passionately.

The director deliberately zooms in, capturing every detail of the kiss.

It is a French kiss.

My face suddenly feels a bit hot.

"What's wrong? Don't you like this movie?" In the dim light, Vincent turns slightly.

"It's good." I turn my gaze to the screen; the intense kissing scene is not over yet.

Vincent glances at the screen, then at me, seeming to understand why I am feeling shy.

He turns and says to me, "Come here; let me tell you something."

I lean in. "What?"

"Come closer."

I moved a bit closer.

The next moment, Vincent lowers his head and kisses me on the lips.

After the kiss, Vincent says, "Now you have one too."