Last Night

📍Manchester, Jamaica | 🗓️ Same Day

Noelle's POV

It doesn't take long for us to reach Mandeville.

Mi seh the one Nickoi him drive like seh we did inna GTA.

Never in my life have I seen someone so eager to break the rules of the road. The man just love speed.

Halfway through the drive, I started to feel hungry so Nickoi agreed to stop by the KFC in Mandeville before dropping me off.

As he pulls into a parking spot in front, I start to gather my things in my purse, pulling off my hoodie and bracing myself for the heat outside.

Jamaica hot yf.

Or am I just so used to foreign weather that I can't stand the heat?

As we walk up to the door he opens it for me, and I step inside.

"Try nuh bada walk too close to me enuh, you know seh man ah gyalis. Can't have you scaring the hoes" He states as he chuckles and saunters up to the cashier.

I laugh and shake my head as I walk up behind him, ready to make my order.

Luckily inside was quiet, there was not even a line, so we were able to get in and out quickly.

As soon as I got back into the car I did not wait to start eating.

"Yuh know how long mi did a wait fi dis? KFC in the US is so nasty, ah dis name real food" I say as I start to dig into the box.

Mi and hungry dohn gree. So I was not gonna wait till we reached home to eat.

"Mek sure yuh nuh leave crumbs in here, because me will drive yuh back a Mobay tonight enuh? First plane out." He says to me as he adjusts his seatbelt.

"Sir mi nah hear ah word weh yuh a seh, drive the vehicle nuh mon" I laugh stuffing fries in my mouth in the process.

In no time we were back on the road, driving through the streets of Mandeville.

Wow, I thought to myself. The place hasn't changed a bit.

Still can not believe seh ah me dis inna Jamaica, ah dis dem call international dolly enuh.

Catching flights not feelings.

I stare outside the window watching as my surroundings change around me, school pickney coming home from school walking with their friends, people coming home from work trying to catch the next taxi, the place just lively man.

By the time I was done eating, Nickoi was pulling into the yard.

Before I could even get out of the car I see my aunty and cousins running out of the house into the yard.

"Watch Marcia one gyal pickney" my aunt Niki says as she grabs me up into a big bear hug.

"Yes foreign dolly reach now enuh" I hear my cousin Abigail say as she moves in to hug me.

"Unuh move mek mi hug her to nuh" my other cousin Keri-Anne squeals as she jumps on me.

With all weh did ah gwaan mi deeven remember seh Nickoi was standing there with us.

I honestly felt so emotional all mi coulda do was cry. Unuh remeber seh mi love bawl enuh.

After all the theatrics had died down I turn to Nickoi who was taking my bags out of the trunk of the car.

"Koi yuh ago stay fi dinner?" my aunt Niki says to him, she is my mother's eldest sister, and Abigail and Keri-Anne are her daughters.

"No sah Ms. Niki, mi ooman just text mi seh she cook, and mi have a party tonight so mi haffi go get ready right about now" he says placing my luggage on the front door steps.