Chapter Twenty-Four

Here we are again ... I'm embarking on a new journey of a fanfiction story. This time, we're going with a post-apocalyptic vibe. I recently watched The 100 on Netflix. I'd been intrigued to write a story based off that show/series of novels. I decided to write it for NaNoWriMo. I'd starting almost halfway through the month, but I'm determined to, at least, get something going. My goal is to finish the story for NaNoWriMo July Camp ...

Chapter Twenty-Four

Edward

My parents dragged me away, wanting to spend some time with me. I hated to leave Bella, but Renee said I needed to focus on my mental health. Spending time with my family was a good way to disconnect from my mental anguish. They spoke with the kitchen, arranging for our meals to be delivered to their suite.

Mom was flitting around their suite, fluffing pillows and cleaning unnecessarily. "Mom, you're making me nervous," I said. "Sit down."

"It's just nice to have our space again. Our quarters on the Ark were destroyed," Mom frowned. "Most of the inner ring was sheared off upon entry of the atmosphere. That's why we lost the back half of the Ark."

"Dinner's ready," Dad sang, balancing the tray on his arm. "We even have lemonade." When he mentioned lemonade, my heart gave a little twist. It brought back the memory of how she freaked out about the lemonade. Dad placed a plate in front of me, along with a glass of lemonade. I gently pushed it away, giving it to my mom. "You don't want any?"

"Unpleasant memories from the Ark," I answered, getting up to get a glass of water. Taking my glass of water, I sat back down. "Not my memories, but out of solidarity with Bella, I'm not going to have lemonade. I didn't care much for it anyway. Too tart."

"So, what happened with you and Charlie?" Dad asked as he sat down next to me.

"Who told you?" I grumbled.

"Renee and Charlie," Dad snorted.

"We raised you better than that," Mom chided. "You should respect your elders."

"He doesn't deserve my respect. He was going to kill his own daughter," I spat. "Respect is earned. He lost all my respect when he questioned my intentions for his daughter, after he told me that he was more concerned about his approval ratings."

"Es, Edward has a point," Dad said, reaching over and taking her hand. "But, Edward, he's trying to atone for his sins."

"As I told him, I won't ever forgive him. If Bella does, I won't stop her from having a relationship with him. I'll be coldly polite, but that's about it," I shrugged, poking my fork into the mix of vegetables on my plate. I sighed heavily. "I don't want to talk about this anymore. I'll never be a fan of our former chancellor. At one point, I thought he was one of the best, but knowing the truth?"

"Unfortunately, there's a lot of politics when it comes the leadership of the Ark," Dad explained. "You have to sashay people in order to get what you want. Charlie was ... he could sashay with the best of them."

"But, at what cost?" I asked, arching a brow. "Enough of this ... I want to talk to you. I want to hear about what happened up in the Ark. To be honest, I just want to be a family. No politics. No threats from psycho madmen. Just us sharing a meal."

"I think that's doable," Esme said.

Dinner was pleasant and it was nice to not think about Jacob, or Charlie. However, in the back of my mind, I was worried about Bella. Dad said that she was doing well. Her sedation was being weaned, which meant that she could wake up soon. The moment I saw her eyes, I'd breathe easier.