4 - Speechless

SOPHIE

I'm speechless, let me rephrase we all are speechless.

"B-but you said that-" I say taking a deep breath, trying not to overthink but it's difficult when your mother suddenly comes back into your life and drops these bombs.

We thought that she was getting married... Not that she already was.

She smiles but doesn't look happy, as she blows out a breath, "I was going to get married in a few days but we decided to just sign the papers and get it over with, no fuss or anything."

I try to process what she just said but why would they just want to get it over with? Isn't marriage supposed to make people happy and excited to plan?

I have no idea.

"but why?" I let the question slip out before I can overthink it.

She sighs, "well uh, he has a lot of sons and they all have a business meeting coming up soon so we wanted to get it done before things get crazy."

I guess what she says makes sense but- wait! Did she just say he had a lot of sons?

"H- how many kids does he have?" I ask as Taylor and Conner suddenly go quite, with wide eyes.

"He has 4 sons." She says so casually but that's not normal, not to me at least how can someone have so many kids and boys.

I will never survive.

"So what your saying is..that I will be having 6 brothers in total?" I feel light headed.

She nods and smiles, "if you wanna get technical I guess you do."

"That's what I thought.." I mumble but my head is spinning.

I'm spinning, to many things are happening all at once and I'm drowning in my familys stares.

Then my vision goes black and I fall with a thud to the floor.

~~~~

"I think she took that well." I hear a male voice mutter as I open my blurry eyes, Taylor is hovering above me with Conner.

I turn my head to see dad rushing over with an ice pack and he grabs my arm to bring me to a standing position.

"Oh Sophie! are you ok?" My mom looks me over, inspectung me like the doctor she is.

"Can you see my fingers clearly?" She asks holding up a few fingers.

I nod, "there's four."

She smiles and sighs, as my dad still looks me over for injuries. I offer him a smile of reassurance but he doesn't stop.

"Here Sophie, take a breath," he hands me the ice pack and lets me put it at my head.

I nod and smile, "thanks dad."

"You just fainted out of nowhere," Conner says but he doesn't offer me a smile like everyone else is.

"Oh." That's all I mutter while mom makes it a big deal to check me out.

"You look fine, just take it easy." She states and puts away her doctor things, honestly I think my head is still a little fuzzy because it sounded like she cared.

My dad sighs with relief while I see Taylor rolls his eyes, why does he hate me so much? This is why I don't like to make a big fuss I've learned that no one cares, well except dad but even he has limits.

Conner offers me a smile and take the ice pack from me, "are you sure your ok?"

I nod, "yeah I'm fine, just a little tired now."

My mom shakes her head, "oh no after you fell the last thing you should do is sleep."

I nod again but not sure what else I should say, no one mentiones about how she's already married to a guy we've all never met, not to mention he has lots of sons, who are now my step siblings.

I feel like fainting again, it's all a lot to take in. Why am I the only one freaking out a little?

Taylor shrugs and finally says something, "you should probably get up, we are going to dinner tonight."

I let out a sigh and look to dad, silently begging him not to let me go.

He clears his throat but his smile doesn't reach his eyes, "right then you should all get ready and your mom and I will wait in the living room for you guys."

He looks to me and moved his hand in a shooing motion to get me going.

"Fine." I hear Taylor groan as he takes my arm and all three of us are going to our rooms.

"Let go of me," I protest to Taylor when he practically shoved me into my room.

"Just get into a nice dress and for once in your life try to be a brat." What he says takes some time to process when Conner sighs and unlike Taylor his voice is comforting.

"Don't worry Sophie, Taylor is just being grumpy."

"We want you to be.. difficult at this dinner, if Mom wants to bring in another family then we aren't gonna take it."

I sigh and still don't get it.

"What do you mean?"

He groans and rolls his eyes, "we don't want Mom to be with this new guy right?"

I look at him, staying silent because I really don't know what I want.

He sighs, changing his tone to firm and looking into my eyes.

"We don't want our lives changing and we know nothing about this new family our mom is trying to force us into, so try to act the worst you can."

I nod but I don't think I will be doing that.

Whatever my brothers are planning, it won't be good and I'm not sure if I want to be apart of it.

I wish I could just skip this dinner and go back to my silent life.