Four

Nervousness before a fight was not your style. No, you knew how to send someone on the boards without taking a single punch yourself. Your winning streak so far had shown that impressively.

But on the days of victory, you weren't completely drenched, with shorts that stuck to your legs and bandages around your hands that couldn't absorb the force when wet.

Yeah, everything about that fight said you were gonna lose. And it didn't help either that your opponent was mostly cyberware.

T-Bug, Dexter's netrunner puppy, had told you that the lady in the ring had a reputation for not only fighting till knockout but also ending her opponents with heavy bleeding.

Not a particularly charming idea, if you thought about it.

But the prize money was all the sweeter. You had managed to convince Dexter to raise your share from 11 to 13%. Not a whole lot more, but since the prize money was about 10 grand that still left a bit more than a thousand eddies to you.

This week would be a comfortable one. If you managed to win this fight.

"Fuuuck.", you sighed and threw your head back to relax the muscles of your shoulders. "Everything will turn out fine. I'll do it. Don't worry. You never lost. Not starting now."

Suddenly, the door opened.

You expected to see Dexter, or at least some of his minions who were supposed to escort you to the ring. But it was neither.

Instead, a woman stood in the doorway. She had a pretty face, Asian, probably Japanese since Japantown wasn't far, with bright blue optics and violet hair. Her fingers were covered in solder chrome.

She looked expensive from top to bottom. Heels made noises on the floor as she walked up to you, with a sweet smile.

The door fell shut.

"Hello.", she had a voice mod to make it sound smoother, softer.

It was a common implant for dolls. Clients preferred them soft and obedient. Especially when they screamed their lungs out and begged them to stop.

Confused, you looked up to meet her eyes.

You didn't judge. Everyone had to make money, one way or another. But it was odd that a doll showed up in a place like this.

What interest could she have in a boxing match?

Politely, she offered you a hand to shake. You didn't accept. It could have been a trap, a small needle hidden in her palm that was filled with drugs.

You had heard and seen shit. This business was one of the dirtiest. Besides car races, that made it a sport to blow up people with their entire vehicles.

"Can I help you?", you asked, lazily eying her from top to bottom.

Yes, she really was too clean for this part of town. Someone must have hired her for a purpose that didn't involve sex.

Her hand lowered again, but the friendly expression on her face didn't change.

"My name is Mariko.", she said.

You shrugged.

"Nice to meet you? Look, the fighting is outside. I'm just getting changed here."

"I know."

You stopped in your attempt to make her leave and eyed her again, a little closer this time. She seemed to be herself, at least her eyes weren't glowing red and her body moved freely.

That meant she had been send as a messenger. Someone didn't want to be associated with her but needed to pass you a deal.

Or tried to blackmail you.

"Mariko?", you asked her, less hostile this time.

She nodded, smiling, her hands crossed in front of her lower body. She seemed so polite. But maybe that was just part of her act.

"Nice to meet you.", she said once more.

You sighed.

"I assume you're not here to ask for an autograph."

"No."

"Shoot your shot then. Why are you here? I'm all ears.", you did a gesture to offer her a seat on one of the old, dust-covered benches.

She didn't sit down, obviously. Her dress alone looked too expensive to even consider that.

"I was send by a gentleman who'd like to ask you to loose this fight.", she smiled.

A huff escaped you.

"Of course...", you could feel how annoyance crawled up your throat and made your lips form a cocky grin. "And why would I do that? I mean... if he wants the win, he should be willing to pay the price."

"Of course.", she reached into the back of her head to pull out a micro chip.

The black and grey metal shimmered in front of your face.

Unsure, you eyed it, then looked at her and quirked a brow.

"What is that?", you asked with a shrug.

"Your payment. If you're willing to loose.", she did a gesture to tell you to go ahead and have a closer look at the contents.

You didn't need to be asked twice, took the chip and inserted it. Your (E/C) eyes flashed in a static red. Numbers and windows popped up in your field of vision.

A huff escaped you.

"This is a joke.", you muttered. "A grand? For a loss?"

"I am just the courier.", Mariko simply said. "Do you not accept?"

Your lips curled. A grand was about what you'd make when you won as well. Money wise, there would be no difference.

But you knew that you needed to win in order to qualify for the higher leagues. And this woman outside seemed to be a good starting point to make an impression.

It wasn't about the money but the opportunity. And that was worth far more than just a grand.

"Any room for negotiations?", you asked, one eyebrow raised.

She shook her head.

"I'm afraid not."

"Alright.", you pulled out the chip to hand it back. "Then you can tell whoever hired you that they can go fuck themselves."

With a sweet smile, but doubt written all over her eyes, Mariko turned on her heel and shrugged it off. This was none of her business and frankly, she didn't care either.

It made you angry to see just how dismissive people were about you. As if you hadn't achieved anything yet.

"Wait.", you called her back as she was already at the door.

"Hm?"

A nasty grin made its way to your face.

"Tell em' that I won't just do a knockout today.", you said with your chin raised. "I'll put out her lights for good. Eye for an eye. Tell her she'll get a taste of her own medicine."