Fifty

Tiredness sat in your bones like a parasite. Every step felt harder than the next, everything hurt. And yet you didn't feel like it was worth it.

Your fingers were clutched around Viktor's hand. There were already deep marks in his skin where your nails pressed into his flesh.

In that moment, it felt like his hand was all that kept you from slipping into the darkness, never to return. Your eyes were heavy, you could feel the bags under your eyes stretching across your face.

A soft smile appeared on your lips as you recognised Julie in the neon light.

"Is she...?", your eyes jumped over your shoulder to Viktor.

With his lips pressed together, he shook his head.

"Not yet.", he said. "But it's getting closer. If you want to, feel free."

Sounds filled your ears as you stepped into the clinic. Your gaze followed in that direction. Viktor's monitor was playing your fight over and over again.

The cheering once again made the blood boil in your veins. Fingers twitched and clenched into fists. But it only took one look and the desire to fight someone again disappeared as quickly as it had come.

"Julie...", her name came over your lips in a whisper as you knelt in front of her and wiped the hair from her forehead. "Do you want to go?"

Her lips trembled. The hint of a breath crawled out of her throat. Her eyes moved and for the first time in years it felt like there was life behind those eyes.

Your fingers found the button that powered the life-support system. You had to smile.

It was mercy.

How much was a life worth?

Your sister's had cost twenty eight implants and kilos of drugs. She had given herself that value.

Yours should have a different one. A value that you could only measure with your own conscience.

"It's okay.", tears ran down your bloodied face. "You can go. I'll let you go. I should have done that earlier. But I couldn't... forgive me, Julie."

A click filled the silence.

The button lost its red light. The machines stopped humming.

A few more breaths left her lips, shaky and weak. The corners of her mouth curved. And then suddenly there was a smile. It was little more than a hunch, not really there but also more than the expression she usually had. Julie smiled one last time.

Then she was gone.

If you were honest with yourself, you couldn't help but be happy. She had seen you win, cheered and adored. But she had also seen the sacrifices you had had to make, she had smelt the blood on your skin and tasted the despair in your soul on her paralysed tongue.

As much as it burned on your conscience, Julie was partly the reason for the burden you had to carry. And she knew that.

As a big sister, it was her duty to ensure your happiness. Apparently she had finally realised that you were in good hands.

"(Y/N).", Viktor lovingly placed a hand on your shoulder.

Without hesitation, you reached for it and nestled your cheek in the palm of his hand. Despite his past work and the many difficult tasks at the clinic, it felt soft.

"Viktor...", his name made you smile. "What am I supposed to do now? I'm good for nothing except boxing. And Dexter has destroyed my reputation. I'll never find a sponsor again."

You had to laugh. Although this meant the end of your career, you weren't sad. Somehow you could have thought of worse. Like doing this all on your own.

A trembling sigh left your lips. Your arms snaked around his shoulders. Warmth nestled into your skin. It was like a kiss, but all over your body.

Everything inside you was suddenly so light. Heavy and yet so light. You had never felt anything like it before.

The beat of his heart echoed in your ears. Like a melody of peace.

"Come.", with gentle insistence Viktor pulled you to your feet, his arms tightly wrapped around you.

Without resisting, you allowed him to carry you out of the clinic basement. The cold air made you shiver. A small bell rang. Then there was the warmth of Misty's shop and the familiar smell of burning herbs and oils.

"Sit down.", Misty's voice was so gentle as she pulled back one of her chairs for you.

The cushion was soft.

"Do you want a drink?" she asked, kneeling down next to you.

You shook your head. A snort escaped you.

"I think I'm doing quite well.", you rubbed your forehead tiredly. "I'm just tired. I don't know what tomorrow will bring."

lAnd it won't matter.", even though you said you didn't want anything, he pressed a glass of water into your hand.

"For the first time, I don't have to worry about what tomorrow will bring.", you chuckled.

A door opened. The bell sounded again and footsteps spread through the room.

"Is that something bad?", Valerie's amused voice suddenly sounded. "Hey there, people! Why the gloomy faces?"

There were a few splashes of blood on her pale face. The answer as to why quickly became redundant.

Vincent and Jackie came up behind her with their faces set. They were both drenched in blood. They had tonnes of implants in their arms. Some still had the flesh of their previous owners on them.

"Vik, be so good as to tell us where to put it, choom.", Vincent gestured with his head in the direction of the clinic. "We got everything back."

"And more.", Jackie chcukled.

"But some of it was already spoilt.", Vincent pulled a face in disgust. "Got anything to clean the meat residue? Acid or something?""

A smirk crept onto Viktor's face. His cyanide-coloured eyes fell on you and silently asked if everything was all right.

Smiling, you reached for his hand to squeeze it.

"Go on.", sighing, you let yourself fall back into the armchair. "I have fulfilled my dream today. And tomorrow I'll help you rebuild yours."

"Hm.", he bent down to plant a kiss on your forehead.

Surprised, Vincent and Jackie whistled. But they quickly fell silent again with a warning look.

Only Valerie grinned broadly.

"All right, doc, you heard em'.", she pushed Viktor towards the door. "Now leave the pregnant woman alone. I need to have a chat with the new family member. Say, would you be willing to take over his care in the near future? Two years give it take. He a lil old."

"V!", Vik snarled.

You huffed.

"I'm all for community service.", you winked at Viktor.