Seven

"Already out of breath?", maybe it was just your big mouth or the desire to see this stupid look on her face, but you couldn't help and throw in some teasing.

The fight was still in its early start, anything could still happen at this point.

But you had a plan. And unless there were unpleasant surprises, you wouldn't have to worry about a win. Only about the cost.

But what were a few bruised ribs?

A broken nose and some cracked teeth?

You had been there and done that. Even without ever being paid for it.

"Shut up!", her voice was so mighty that it vibrated in her throat.

Every single letter of the words trembled. She really was struggling already.

"Pathetic.", you huffed and dug as she threw another punch your direction.

That was your chance. With your eyes widened and a broad grin on your lips, you dug beneath her arms and rushed forward to aim for her guts.

It wouldn't be effective, but you needed to make her move more so that her stamina declined further.

Your fists clenched as they hit a stone hard surface once more. It almost made you think your wrist was about to snap. The echo of the pain chased up your arm and pierced your shoulder.

Pulling a face, you backed off.

Satisfied, she snickered.

"You really thought you did something there, didn't you?", she asked and spit onto the ground.

Strange, considering that you hadn't punched hard enough to press her guts in.

"Hm.", unimpressed, you shrugged and build up cover once more. "Was worth a try. Now c'mon, behemoth. I got some more tricks up my sleeve."

Alighting historically, her eyes wide open, she chased towards you. The ground trembled below her every step. Even the platform of the ring moved.

Fuck, she was a beast.

One punch came your way. You managed to dodge it, but misjudged and tripped. Almost immediately, you found yourself in a not so favourable position, pressed into the ropes.

People yelled with rage and excitement. Finally, the fight started to pick up.

Again, a fist came your way.

Your breath hitched. In a panic, your hands chased up and you punched her lower arm with all the weight you managed to put in.

Struck by surprise, she lost her balance and stumbled.

You struck the opportunity, jumped to the side and aimed a straight punch right at her face. As your fists came into contact with her lips, a shiver covered your body in goosebumps.

The sound of something cracking filled your ears. Blood splashed, covering the white of your bandages that you had wrapped around your hands.

With a grunt she went to the ground, both hands raised to keep her face from kissing the dirt. Thick strands of blood seeped out from between her lips.

It smelled of iron.

With a straight face, your breath heavy, you stared down on her. She was such an easy target in that moment. You'd be able to just punch her until she'd give up.

But where would be the fun in that?

You wanted to win this fight, fair and square. Not by punching a woman, curled up on the ground, bleeding.

The crowd was ecstatic. The vibe had shifted. Now it felt like a proper sports event.

You counted the seconds in your head.

Twenty-two, twenty-three.

She wasn't knocked out but didn't manage to get up either. All she could do was support her on those shaky hands and wait until her lips stopped bleeding.

Finally, the bell rang. Second round was over.

"Not bad.", you hummed to yourself as you returned to your corner for more water.

Your gaze lingered on your knuckles. Stains of red covered the bandages. You could see how your fingers trembled because of the tension. They already started to get a little numb.

You needed to end this fight quick or your own body would meet its limits.

"So you can throw a punch.", this time it wasn't Dex who felt the need to talk to you as if you were an idiot.

It was T-Bug who appeared behind you, a smirk of admiration on her usually so reserved face. As your eyes met, she gifted you a nod and crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"You still here?", you asked with a frown and emptied the rest of your water in one go.

"Surprised?"

"Yeah. You don't like sports."

A huff made her shrug.

"I don't like boxing.", she corrected.

"Which brings me back to my original question. You still here?", slightly irritated, you glanced at her.

For a brief moment her dark eyes wandered over your face. They flashed red, then the colour faded to a deep brown again.

"Your keeping up well.", she said. "Still not out of breath."

"Yeah, sure, but I don't got time forever. Need to take her out quick. Fucking monster..."

Bug's gaze wandered on through the crowd. She didn't need to tell you why you already knew about the lady. She was made of chrome and struggled with it.

Both a blessing and a curse.

"Someone has an eye on you.", she suddenly said.

Struck by surprise, your head snapped around.

Why did you catch yourself wishing it would be the stranger in the blue shirt?

You couldn't see him from your corner of the ring. Or maybe he had found a new place again to have a better view.

Either way, it wasn't him who had his attention fixed on you.

It was the doll from the locker room. Mariko.

Your gazes met, she nodded, you returned the gesture. Swinging her hips, she walked up to the corner to meet you with a sweet smile once more.

"I think we misjudged.", her tone was sweet but apologetic. "You're worth more. We want to apologise."

Your eyes narrowed.

"How much more?", you had no intentions on loosing.

All you wanted to know was how much worth your loss would be.

"Double.", Mariko said.

A huff escaped you. No, that was still an insult.

"I don't think so.", you rose as the bell rang for the third round.

You had drawn blood. Now you wanted to taste it too.