Chapter 170 (Tigris)

A/N: This is seriously the longest chapter I've ever written. It's more like three chapters in one. I apologise in advance for how long this is lol.

Even though Tigris hadn't agreed to Hadeon's offer yet, he was much more docile after lunch. He didn't attempt to interrupt the summit, not even when the political debate got heated. He merely deferred to Tigris with a bow of his head. She clenched her jaw and looked away, her mind whirring. She'd be a fool to disregard the intent gleam in his eyes.

He thought she'd agree to his offer, and he was confident he'd somehow get the better end of the deal. With a man like Hadeon, that was never a good idea. Hadeon remained quiet until sunset, triumph written into the lines of his face.

"I believe," Hadeon spoke for the first time in hours, minutes before sundown, "We have some treaties to sign."

Tigris nodded, rising to her feet. Her heart buzzed with anticipation, some of her unease melting away. The summit was drawing to a close, and it was time to finalise the latest agreements, including the one she'd proposed.

Her pulse thrummed in her ears as the leaders made their way from the courtyard, where they'd been conversing with their courts, to the throne room.

Torches were lit, lighting the path down the halls. Tigris walked in step with the other four courts, trailed by nobles, merchants, and citizens from the lower town.

Hadeon marched next to Tigris as they gathered around the large table in the throne room. Knights lined the walls, their eyes gleaming with focus.

Hadeon leaned closer, his breath brushing her ear. "Have you considered my offer, Queen Tigris?"

The title still felt like a mockery on his lips. Tigris gritted her teeth. "Let's focus on the signings first, King Hadeon. We will discuss this matter afterwards."

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw his face flicker. Was that worry? What did Hadeon have to fear from a lost marriage proposal?

The table was laid out, stacks of paper carefully piled upon it. Tigris stood at the front of the room, taking a deep breath as all eyes turned to her.

"The following documents certify the agreed upon changes for the next five years," Tigris announced, delving into the myriad of tax changes, border confirmations, and new trade agreements. Her speech drew on, and she watched the other leaders watch, entranced.

"And of course," Tigris continued, her voice nearly hoarse by the end, "The latest change applies to several nations... open transportation between kingdoms for all civilians. For nobles and commoners alike."

Murmurs rumbled from the gathered crowd. Sweat dripped down Tigris' back. She folded her hands in front of her to stop them from shaking.

"With support for those who wish to move between kingdoms for professional advancement."

Gasps rang out. Tigris caught shocked glances exchanged from those who lived in the lower town. They all looked stunned. Travel between kingdoms was highly regulated, usually a right reserved for royalty, ambassadors, and approved high ranking nobles and merchants. Trade was highly regulated. No one unapproved was allowed over the borders without sparking war. It had been a measure implemented after the Dark Ages that had been staunchly followed after the wars that had occurred soon after.

And now, Tigris was breaking that rule.

She scanned the crowd. "Applications for permits will be distributed amongst the kingdoms. But this decision spans from Irulia, the Tselts and... Amara."

More stunned eyes turned to Hadeon. The king was shifting on his feet, looking... confused. He looked at her, going absolutely still. Tigris turned her gaze back to the gathered crowd with unease, wiping her discomfort off her face.