51

Another day had passed and it was our time to leave the island.

I haven't seen Brian, Claire said he was avoiding me which is understandable. If it was me, I would've done the same.

"So, I'm going with Brian, are you..." It was Claire trying to see my mood.

"I'll go with Alex." I told her. 

It will be awkward if I go with them going back to the city and Alex suggested I go with her instead of me riding with the others on the company shuttle.

"Figures." 

We both packed our bags silently.

I know Claire is not picking sides and it may seem that she was caught in the middle but she is not. 

I've been meaning to speak to Brian but like I said, he was avoiding me. Maybe when we are back in the office, I can corner him in his office.

And Claire knows that, that I was trying to reach out, I called, texted him, but no response, so I decided to give him space and time.

"So, I'll see you when we get back?" Claire already had her bag on her and was ready to go.

"Yeah..." I sat on my bed. "Claire, keep him company, don't sleep. It's a long drive and... Just, just don't sleep, ok?"

"Yes, Mom!" Claire chuckled.

I am genuinely worried as Brian tends to feel sleepy driving alone.

"I'm not kidding, Claire. You know Brian and text me when you arrive in the city."

"I know, I know. What time are you leaving?"

"Alex is just finishing something up, she'll pick me up here once she is done."

Claire nodded and bid her final goodbye.

Almost an hour later when I heard a knock on my door, and even before I could go and open it, Alex's smiling face greeted me.

"I'm so sorry, it took longer than I expected." She said apologetically, she sat beside me and gave me a side hug.

I smiled at the gesture.

"It's fine. You okay?" Her face was on my shoulder so I had to lean down a bit to see her beautiful face.

"Just tired, but fine." She forced to smile. "Let's go?"

As we waited in the lobby for the car, I scanned the area, nobody from our company was left here in the hotel, the shuttle left an hour ago so it was just the two of us.

Alex was sitting beside me, her fingers intertwined with mine. How I wish we could be like this all the time.

"Alex?" 

"Yeah?"

"Are we official?" 

"What do you mean?" Alex looked at me with her brows furrowed.

"I mean, can we be like this all the time?" I lift up a little bit our hands pointing it out to her.

"You mean in the office?"

"I'm thinking everywhere." I let out a soft laugh.

"Yeah, I mean, I'm fine with that, are you?" Alex said casually.

"What would your parents say?" I asked her.

"Well, considering I'm dying, I think they will be okay." She jokingly said but it hit some nerves for me and she was quick to notice it.

"I mean, they support me in whatever I do so I guess they will be fine with that." She immediately retracted her words.

I know she meant it as a joke but I couldn't help not to take it by heart. For a few days, I was trying not to think of her dying of illness. I guess I'm in denial?

Or, maybe I was just not ready to give her up to death yet. I mean, we just started.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..."

"Miss, your car is here." We were interrupted by the bellboy letting us know about the car.

He and the other guy helped us with our bags.

"Let me drive." I took the key from the valet guy before Alex could take it.

"It's a long drive, Cara."

"I know, Alex." I imitate her tone.

"Fine, I'll drive next after 2 hours." 

Soon enough, we were on the road.

"You can sleep, you know." I told her, giving her one look.

"It's fine, I don't want you to be bored. Also, once we're back in the city, I was planning to sleep the whole day and wake up tomorrow afternoon." She let out a soft laugh before continuing. "Would you join me?" 

Almost immediately, I looked at her side, it must have been too long though as Alex had to get my attention for me to focus back on the road.

I felt my blood rushing through my cheeks, so embarrassing!

"So, would you?" Alex took my hand and intertwined our fingers again. Good thing the road is just straight and I won't need both my hands on the steering wheel.

I gently nodded, not able to answer her as I felt like, if I spoke, my voice would crack as I could not contain these emotions Alex was giving me.

We stayed quiet for a while till Alex broke the silence.

"Do you feel sleepy? You want to switch?"

"I haven't been driving long, Lex. It was just 40 minutes." I chuckled at her.

"Ohh ok. Do you want to play games? The license plate game? Or would you rather? Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! 20 questions?"

I looked at her side and saw how her face brightened up. She suddenly looked like a kid who was just permitted by her Mom to play outside. 

We ended up deciding to play the 20 questions. I let her explain to me how the game goes as I have never played any car games with anyone.

My Mom never drove me anywhere, I never had any long drive with anyone. The longest drive I've been is I think just an hour drive, it was my Dad driving me to summer camp, and that drive consisted of him telling me the dos and don'ts as he was very worried about me going there.

"Ok, so I go first?" She said excitedly.

"Wait, wait. How will I know you will stick to the initial thing that goes in your mind and not change it when I guessed it right?" I'm still not convinced with this game.

"I'm not gonna cheat, Cara! Gosh, do you have trust issues or what?" She said laughing at me.

"How can I be sure of that?"

"Oh my god!!!" Alex exclaimed. "You just have to trust that I'm not gonna cheat on you and that would go both ways."

I looked at her, still doubting about it.

"Okay, let's just, let's play another game and not that." Alex blew air and surrendered. She looked annoyed though.

I know I'm ruining this game for her which she was really excited to play, but I can't help.

Yeah, maybe I have trust issues.

__________________________________

Hello, my lovely and funny readers, I set up a ko-fi account, so if you want to treat me, send me a gift, or simply motivate me, please feel free to visit my page: Ko-fi.com/lunamarcelo :)

Follow me on IG as well: LunaMarcel0

Thank youuuu for always supporting my work, I'm reading all your comments and I love how invested you are in the story :)