56

I'm not sure if I should feel irritated, invaded, or just plain angry.

"Why is your face on my phone?" 

I mean to be rude. I mean for her to feel embarrassed or ashamed. What she did was wrong, plus, I got a bit nervous thinking she'd figure out it was Alex.

"Ohh... I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..." 

I didn't let her finish, I got up my chair, excused myself from others, and went outside the pub.

I dialed Alex's number and waited for her to answer it.

"Hey!" Hearing her voice was such a relief.

"Hey, how was your flight?" I asked her.

"We're still on the plane, just about to go out. When I text you that we just landed, the wheel of the plane literally just landed on the ground." I heard her chuckling.

How I missed her already.

"You there, Cara?"

"Yeah, Yeah. Sorry. I just, I missed your voice, I miss you." I told her sincerely.

It was her turn to be silent.

"I feel the same, Babe." She said after a while. "Where are you? The background seems loud."

"Ohh, umm, I'm at the pub, a few blocks from the office. I made a promise to the interns that I would join them tonight."

"Pub huh? Are you drinking?" I heard her tone change.

"Just a beer, after one pint I'm going home. I didn't even want to come tonight, believe me, it's just that, I was already compromised." I leaned my back to the wall of the pub and played the stone on the ground with my foot.

"Hmmm, and you're just making an appearance, is that it?" I know she was mocking me but I still chose to answer her.

"Yes, Ms. Williams. That's the plan." I let out a soft laugh.

"I have done that before, Cara, in so many parties. I told myself I was just making an appearance, after a glass or two, I was gone. But I was always. always going home drunk and sometimes with someone. So, tell me how that goes, okay?"

I let out a sigh.

"You don't have to worry, Alex. I swear to you, I ain't getting drunk nor bringing someone with me to my apartment."

I guess they were out of the aircraft already as the background noise got louder.

"Alex?"

"Can you just, promise me that? I know you did already but just promise me again. I've seen you get drunk, Cara, and boy if you are surrounded by perverts or people who have bad intentions, you'd be gone before the sunrise." I could hear the worries in her voice.

"You know I should be the one worrying about you, Alex. What time is your treatment tomorrow?" I changed the subject.

Hon, walk fast! I heard her Mom from the background.

"7 AM tomorrow I should be there so after we dine out tonight, I'll turn in." She said while I heard her panting a bit as she quickened her pace.

"Okay, text me when you're in bed."

"Cara!" I heard her call me before I hung up the call.

"Yeah?"

"Can you text me when you leave from there and once you're home?" She still worries.

"Of course!"

Everybody's eyes were on me when I joined the table again.

"What?" I asked all of them.