CHAPTER 1 - BEGINNING OF AN END

Kuch baat toh hai teri baaton mein,

Jo baat yahan tak aa pahuchi,

Hum dil se gaye, dil tum par gaya,

Aur baat khuda tak jaa pahunchi.

Day of partition [14 August 1947]

NOOR

" Chal, chal Noori jaldi kar, agar bhaiya ko pata lag gaya na toh hum dono gaye aaj"

[ Do it fast Noori, if brother got know about this, he will not leave us for sure]

I heard my friend Roshni saying to me while I was still busy, sorry confused between which pair of bangles I should pick. This is so confusing and why both of them are so beautiful. I want them both. 

I closed my eyes for once and taking a long breath, I opened them and said to the stall vendor 

"Bhaiyya, yeh vali churi bandh dein mere liye"

[Brother, pack this one bangles for me]

I gave him the multicolor bangles that I chose for myself and now my heart was saying that I should have gone for the red ones.

I gave him the money and took the bangles from him, and we both started moving and Roshni said

"Thank God, you finally selected which pair you wanted. Now we have to reach home before brother reach there from college" she said to me, and I frowned.

" Your brother is a total Hitler, and I don't like him even a single bit" I said to her while both sat down in rickshaw to reach home.

She glared at me and said " He is not a Hitler"

" Then tell me why he always scolds everyone and especially me" I scoffed and continued " Kal college mein bhi kitna daanta mujhe aur ghar par bhi koi mauka nahi chodte vo"

[ He scolded me yesterday also in college and then at home also]

"Because you were not studying that's why he scolded you" she said defending her brother.

" Nothing you can say that will convince me to think of him less than Hitler" I said while looking at my bangles and thinking how beautiful I will look in them.

" Live with him for one day and then you will get to know that he is not Hitler, he is just strict towards our studies"

I instantly glared at her and shouted " Allah kare aisa din kabhi na aaye ki mujhe unke saath rehna pade, bilkul nahi pasand mujhe tumhare bhai"

[ Please God, such kind of day never comes in my life that I have to live with him]

She just rolled her eyes and asked rickshaw driver to go a little faster.

Meanwhile an image came in my mind where me and him would be living together and I immediately got scared. No one can live with him for even a minute, then just forget about whole life.

But all things aside I am scared from him because we both didn't go to college as today is my wedding and I wanted to come for shopping, but he will never understand the excitement of marriage.

I am so happy I am getting married.

To Sohail Khan, he is my maternal uncle's son, basically my cousin. And our families decided this during my birth that we will get marry once I will be of twenty-one.