Day One: Part Two

"I'm Janet Garza." Kenna's new boss introduced herself, remaining with her eyes all the while as she snugly shook her hand. It was the firmest grip she'd ever felt from a woman and she felt her eyebrows raising as she regarded the thin woman. I thought women from Texas knew how to eat? Accidentally letting a bigger grin grace her face, Kenna watched Janet's eyes slightly widen before she peered away with a light blush. It must have been a weird smile she wore, so Kenna hurriedly cast it away and willed herself to remain straight faced as long as she could. "Welcome to Texas, Kenna."

She flickered her gaze back up into the woman's eyes and the tiny flinches along her face, deducing their meaning without needing to voice her pondering. Janet, just like everyone, was distracted and trapped in a wave of judgment as one might expect. However, a small glint of reluctance was there and Kenna couldn't blame her. She wasn't something to enjoy. She wasn't something bringing good tidings. She was nothing more than a problem employee lucky enough to be given a job, a chance at something new, and the speculative eyes she knew followed her even here.

Did Neil already tell her...? With a sigh of defeat, Kenna dropped her head and chewed on the inside of her cheek. Then something out of the corner of her eye stole her attention and she found herself lost in a state of marveling. Kenna turned toward a small, but robust donkey who grazed nearby, releasing her inner cheek. She gulped as she spotted more animals, some of which watched them all from cover and others who were slowly making their way closer. Taking a chance as the donkey neared, Kenna reached out as she would to a stray dog and waited for him to sniff her hand, but he simply rubbed his head along her shoulder.

Prompted out of her comfort zone, she reached over and pet his neck, surprised when he welcomed the caress as she listened to her brother and her new client carry on a conversation behind herself. "So, if you drive east toward the back of the property, the house is there. Would you like me to join you and your team today, or should I stay back here with Kenna." Drawing her attention from the donkey back to the people speaking, Kenna spun around and found her new boss looking right at her despite her talking to Neil. "She needs to learn her farming tasks if she's staying here after all."

"You're right. Choring first, then you both can head over." Neil put his hand around the back of Kenna's neck and she timidly met his gaze, then glanced back at Janet. She was still regarding her through a furrowed brow that slightly arched as soon as their eyes met, making her change her gaze. Shifting it back to Neil, she adamantly listened as he added, "When you do, we can discuss the barn situation and what security measures you want to take. Alright?"

"Perfect." Janet turned toward Kenna and nodded her head backward toward what appeared to be some type of camper. "I do have some news on the living arrangements, though, so if you could follow me this way, we can get started."

Kenna nodded, receiving a side hug from her brother before he hopped back into his truck and led the team toward his latest job site. Finally alone with Janet, Kenna felt her eyes pulled over toward her as they both walked to the camper. She wasn't any taller than herself, but definitely slimmer. Her waist was so thin, in fact, that her overalls which were closer to her size than her large flannel top stuck out on the sides. Janet's shirt pooched out just past them as well and moved around her waist with each passing step, making Kenna wonder if she always wore such baggy clothing.

She ran her eyes down a bit further and noted the ropers on her feet that were definitely closer to the size she was meant to wear, showing just how much larger her clothing was than necessary. Letting her pondering mind wander a bit further as she traced her eyes back up her legs, Kenna grew focused on the way her hips swung with each step, considering how that walk might look without the over-sized clothing hiding her slight curves. After raising head the rest of the way, she realized Janet was peeking back at her over her shoulder, though she hurriedly cast her gaze forward as soon as their eyes met.