Chapter 1

Lightning crashed far off in the distance as Wren dug into the damp ground with a metal shovel. The persistent rain soaking their clothes and hair like a violent shower, before the sleet began to fall as well. It's ok, I must endure this to bring my treasure back home!
The hole underneath the large boulder widened, and their digging became more difficult as the hole got deeper and deeper.
THUNK!
Wren let out a heavy tired breath. They got to their knees and began to dig a bit around the wooden box they had buried, and they pulled it out by the metal handles at the sides of it. Finally!
Wren hastily attached a shoulder strap to the metal handles and pulled the strap over their shoulder, allowing the box to settle against their hip. Thunder echoed through the forest, sending a shiver down Wren's spine. They had to get home before it began to hail!
Running along the trail, and almost slipping against the few stones in their path; Wren made their way towards their home. They wondered how much longer they would have before the hail would begin to fall as they did so. Three months they had their treasure buried. Three months they had to hide it, but now they had a much safer place to store it! Somewhere no trespasser would be able to even conceive it being!
Wren rested their hand lovingly on the wooden box. Soon they will be able to check on its condition. Their eyes gleamed happily at the thought. No more fearing that someone would stumble upon it and take it away.
Suddenly Wren yelped as they lost their footing and fell down several feet, landing with a thunk-like sound as they landed in thick muck. Wren slowly got on their hands and knees and only stared at the ground in shock for a moment before they felt the first large piece of ice strike their back. They grabbed their box and rushed away from the opening above them. Large chunks of ice rained down from the opening and into the muck. Wren looked around at their surroundings.
After their eyes adjusted to the darkness they could finally see the dark tunnels and railroads. I had to have fallen at least twenty feet! Scary...
Wren shuddered. They slowly got to their feet and stumbled the first few steps into the tunnels, but finally gained their footing. I should find somewhere dry. I'll try climbing up those vines once the rain stops.
With that in mind they made their way deep into the tunnel, following the rails anxiously. They could only hope the tunnels wouldn't tumble and crush them. Once the ceiling stopped dripping and their hands dried, Wren snapped their fingers and a small flame erupted from their middle finger. The light emitted from the flame helped them see their surroundings better. As Wren continued down the tunnels until the tunnel spit two ways, and oddly enough to the left was a fire pit filled with dry thick wood. That is either convenient, or alarming...I wonder if someone else is down here?
Wren hesitantly turned left and knelt down at the fire pit. They carefully held the flame to the wood until it slowly caught fire, and basked in the warmth of the flames. With the light of the fire, the fourteen year old looked around the now light-filled area, and they spotted a large mass of leaves and moss. I could use those for bedding...I'm exhausted.
It had to have been at least 1:00 AM by the time they stripped out of their soaked over clothes and left them a few feet from the fire in neat piles, and arranged the dried moss and leaves into a makeshift bed. They lied down onto the "bed" and shifted around until they were comfortable. They were a few feet from the fire, and they stared at it until sleep finally overcame them.
Wren awoke to find their head laying on something warm. The fire had burned out to nothing but embers, leaving them in pitch black darkness. Wren shivered as the cold air finally seemed to attack their exposed skin. Wren shifted their soft cover over their shoulder as their body shifted more comfortably in the makeshift bed.
Their eyelids drooped tiredly. Why didn't I bring any sna-...
Wren's eyes shot open. They traced their fingers over the soft fur resting over them, and suddenly their "pillow" moved.
Long fingers rested on Wren's head; gently holding them in place when they tried to sit up. Anxiety nipped at Wren like a starving bedbug.
"Wren." The familiar voice of the echoed in the cave.
Suddenly Wren was being lifted up so that their side was against Jason's, and then they were pushed away slightly before their wrist was taken ahold of.
"It's good to know I wasn't the only one caught off guard by a pit." Jason said with a calm tone, "Since we are down here together, and we haven't seen each other in so long, I believe some catching up is in order."
Wren only shook their head and vigorously tried to wriggle out from Jason's hold. He didn't tighten his grip on them, and he wasn't even holding them that tightly, but it was like his joints locked in place to keep hold of Wren. Wren's eyes adjusted enough that they could make out Jason's blank expression, just before he let out a sigh and changed to a more annoyed look.
"Knock it off Wren." Jason now spoke with warning in his tone, "If I wanted to harm you again I would have woken you up. Surely you know me well enough to know that?"
Wren then glared at Jason, and shook their head again. He was the last person they wanted to talk to. They didn't care what his reasons were, they wanted nothing to do with the man that has tried to harm them, and managed to torture them before.
Jason returned the glare at Wren's refusal to cooperate with him, and swiftly stood up. His grip tightened on Wren as he harshly pulled them to their feet. "If you will not be compliant in conversation with me, then you can take Angela's place as my familiar." Jason said through gritted teeth.
Wren shuddered at his words. Jason was terrible to Angela. Far more terrible than he ever was towards them.
Letting out a huff, Wren nodded their head.
Jason paused looking at them, and smiled before he dragged Wren back to where they were sitting. Wren fell on their rear with a grunt. I hate my luck...
"Now," Jason sat down next to Wren and crossed his arms looking at them, "I don't suppose Angela is down here is she?"
Wren looked at Jason and shook their head. They hadn't seen Angela.
Jason looked at Wren thoughtfully, and gave a slight nod. "Where have you been hiding all this time? I tried finding you two months back, but I couldn't for the life of me."
Jason rested his hand on Wren's filthy head as they raised their hands to reply. "Been home." Wren replied, and swatted Jason's hand off of them. "And where would that be?" Jason asked.
"At home."
"Is that all I am going to be getting about where you live? Don't you have someone else I can ask about this?"
"I'm not making myself easy to find again."
Jason sighed in a dramatic manner and somewhat playfully wrapped an arm around Wren's neck. Wren let out a hoarse groan of discomfort, but did nothing to push Jason's arm off of them. After all the torment and pain he caused, why is he interested in just talking now? Wren looked at Jason with distrust. What are you up to Jason the toymaker?
Something glimmering in the distance caught Wren's attention, causing them to perk up with interest. They squinted their blue eyes for a moment, and slowly they widened.
Wren prodded Jason with their elbow to get his attention, and made a slight gesture to the opening once they did. Jason looked at them curiously and turned his head to see what they were gesturing to. His eyes widen slightly, but Jason kept a calm composure. "I suppose we can keep the conversation going as we find our way out. Get your things situated, and lets go." Ordered Jason. He removed his arm from Wren and urged them to their feet, and he picked up his coat. Jason dusted it off while Wren put on their jacket, shoes, and bracelet. The star on their jewelry stood out against their striped fingerless gloves.
"I do not think I've ever seen you without those gloves." Jason stated out of nowhere, but Wren ignored him. They picked up their treasure and pulled the strap over their shoulder, just as a clicking sound came from the distance. Both Wren and Jason shared a look, and Wren could see Jason was as unnerved as they were. By the time they had their belongings together the glowing eyes had vanished.
"Lets go." Jason grabbed Wren's hand and led them to the second tunnel. Wren cringed at the dark abyss as they walked further into the tunnel. They snapped their finger as they had done before, and a small but bright flame erupted from their middle finger. Jason jumped back startled, and released Wren's hand in his shock. He calmed down after a moment of awkward silence and spoke up as he regained his composure.
"I didn't know you could do things like that..." he muttered out. Jason stared at them, "Don't suppose that little flame is harmless?"
Wren ignored Jason's question, and instead worked on manipulating the flame into a ball shape. The fire ball provided enough warmth for the two of them as it slowly divided into two, and each floated next to Wren and Jason's shoulders.
Hopefully you do not learn anymore about me that I don't want you to know.