prologue ; happy birthday, asshole

evelyn

I felt as though my heart was going to give out.

Years of training, practising, publicising, pushing myself... would it be enough?

That was always the question, whenever I submitted any audition; any tape, any resume. It was just another rush of worries and excitement and I pressed the send button on yet another try out video.

I closed my computer almost immediately after, not wanting to dwell on my anxiety for any longer. I sighed, laying down on my bed and soaking up the golden hour sun rays pouring through my window. It was just after noon, on a Saturday. The entire day had consisted on me making tape after tape of videos to submit. I was exhausted, but simultaneously riveted.

This could be it.

The last few years had been heaven for me. I'd spent my entire duration of 17 years chasing my dream, and on my 13th birthday, I finally made a break through. I found out that I had been casted in a new teen drama series called Let the Light in, in which I starred alongside Ariana Greenblatt, my now best friend, Malia Baker, Brady Noon and Jaden Walton. It had kick-started my career, and now I was 4 movies, 2 series, and an award-winning, billboard-charting album deep.

"Hey, Evy. Did you submit that audition?" My older sister Sophie walked into my room through my open door, leaning against my desk. She was 19, a couple years above me, and very pretty. It intimidated me, sometimes.

"Yeah, I did. Normally I don't care too much about if I get rejected or not from a role, but I really want to book this one. The jitters are more intense then usual." I admitted to my sister, and she nodded understandingly. Sophie was also in the acting business, and had been in the Baby Sitters Club, as well as a few other high-grossing movies. In fact, my twin brother, Dylan was also an actor. Our parents had bought us up to be passionate about these things.

"You'll get it, Ev. When's the last time you've been rejected from a role? Not since let the light in came out." She beamed at me, supportively. I sat up to look at her.

"Yeah, I guess you're right. It's just... I don't know. I really want to get this one. I wanna be a Disney kid!" I exclaimed, making the girl laugh.

"You'll be a great Disney kid. I see Rapunzel in your future." She teased, before exiting my room. I went to lay back down, when a pretty brunette girl walked in in her place.

"Hey girl." Ariana announced herself, flopping down on my bed beside me, making me bounce.

"Hey, Ari." I giggled as the girl kicked off her ugg's and tried to make herself comfortable on my bed. She was my neighbour 'coincidentally' (when the house across from hers went for sale, we showed my parents the adds constantly and secretly until they bought the house.) and she pretty much lived here. She had her own section in my wardrobe and everything.

"Do you feel like going to a party tonight?" She suggested, pursing her lips and she rested her chin on her palm. I scrunched my nose at her.

"Whose party?" I asked curiously.

"You know Malachi? The one I was in Stuck in the Middle with?" She informed me with a smirk on her face. You know Malachi? The gorgeous one that I had a slight obsession with? Yeah, I knew the one.

I sighed at her, because she already knew the answer. "Yeah, sure. Okay." Ariana squealed excitedly as she jumped off my bed and ripped open my closet.