Chapter Sixteen

"I think I will never let go. Of him. Of us. Of the world I get to see by his side."
The Romantic Writings of O.P.B.S.

Olivia wanted to push off the day's tasks. Meeting with men to determine their suitability felt like a chore. She would rather work at her parents' print shop than promenade through Mayfair Park with men she hardly knew.

"Are you prepared to ask these men the necessary questions?" Caroline asked. The only necessary question was whether they would marry, but that was not appropriate without knowing them better. Olivia looked into the mirror and ensured her hair was up to the ton's standards.

They had many, and she needed to follow every last one to ensure she landed with a gentleman by the end of the season.

"Is it possible for you to review them before we depart?" Olivia looked at her questions and felt nerves bubble up in her stomach.

Caroline took the paper and reviewed each question. It was going to be especially difficult to ask the first: "Do you envision yourself being married soon?" The rest were no different in difficulty than that. She would not ask the first (as it would be unladylike to be as forward as that) if it were not necessary.

"I think these are wonderful questions. I would refrain from asking the first unless you feel something. It could push away gentlemen who might otherwise be interested. The rest are perfectly acceptable. I am proud of your work to find a gentleman in such a short amount of time." Caroline gave her the paper with her questions.

Olivia felt her chest deflate with relief. Perhaps the morning would go better than she had anticipated.

She joined her aunt and cousin in the grand foyer of Hastings House prepared to promenade the day away. It was not expected that she would enjoy it for long with four brainless gentlemen.

Yes, she would call them brainless and witless without knowing them. It was how most of the gentlemen of the ton were. They would never understand her or capture her heart.

The latter had already been completed by a man she did not plan to see today.

"It is wonderful to see you, Miss Bridgerton-Sharpe." Olivia ran into (unfortunately for her and her aunt and cousin, quite literally) Mr. Langham, who laughed off the interaction. He caught her like a man does in a romance novel.

She only wished she could feel butterflies in her stomach to tell her it was love.

"It is wonderful to see you as well, Mr. Langham," She replied with a deep blush as she regained her footing. "Would you like to take a turn about the pond with me?"

"Of course," he said and they began to walk.

She was not entirely confident in herself and allowed silence to pass between them before he struck up a conversation.

"Now, I know you are not of this stifling world. Some days, I wish I did not have to live within their standards," he admitted. Olivia did not know what to say. "After marriage, would you prefer to live in London or out in the country?"

"I would live in the country." Being away from everyone who reminded her she was different was her dream.

"So would I. The ton judges everyone far too much." She could agree with that. "Do you imagine yourself with children?"

"I feel life is not complete without children."

"Of course. I wish I had younger siblings all the time," Mr. Langham said.

"You would not if you had my sisters and brothers as your siblings. They were monsters as children," Olivia joked. "I love them dearly and would never replace them. However, I do wish they ransacked my drawers a few less times."