Chapter 1 Recuperate

"This is...", the doctor stuttered as he looked at the girl on the bed. He quickly brought out the little flashlight from his pocket and shone it on the girl's eyes. "Look to your right...left... up..." He turned the flashlight off and let out a deep breath.

"How are you feeling?"

"S-s-sore..", the girl replied. "I ... c-c-can't... m-m-move..."

"Don't force yourself. The nurse already contacted your mother. She's on the way."

"I...", the girl still wanted to say something but found it hard to speak.

"It's alright", the doctor consoled her. "Have a rest."

The doctor gestured to the nurse to keep an eye on the girl before going out. He then walked into his office, still baffled by the happening. He sat down on his chair but remembering something, before he could warm the seat, he stood up and went out in a flash. On his way to the entrance of the hospital, he saw the lady he was looking for striding to his direction. Before he could speak, the lady held on to his gown with tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Is it true? She's awake?", the lady asked in between sobs.

"Yes", the doctor replied.

The lady felt her knees going numb and couldn't support her own weight. She swayed and the doctor helped her to a seat.

"I know how you feel. I couldn't believe it myself but I just went out from her room after checking up on her. She is indeed awake", the doctor explained. "But, there are things that you must remember before seeing her", he continued with a serious tone. "The fact that she has been asleep for 5 years should still be kept from her. We don't know how this might affect her. So, let's take it slowly. For now, don't mention anything about her coma." Understanding what the doctor said, the lady nodded. She wiped her tears and tried to adjust her complexion.

After talking, the doctor and the lady went to the girl's room. The nurse saw them stepping inside and walked soundlessly towards them.

"She fell asleep", the nurse whispered.

The lady nodded and went to her daughter's side. She started to cry again. She tried to suppress any sound in order not to wake the resting girl. After years of waiting, she now feels relieved.

----------

It has been a month since the girl woke up. At first, she couldn't stay awake for a long time and couldn't sit by herself. But now, she is sitting on her bed looking outside of her window. The doctor and her mother were talking on her side.

"She is recovering very fast", the doctor said with a smile. "Her speech is coming back to normal and she is doing great in her physical therapy. I'm impressed."

"Well, she always has been a strong kid", the mother replied with a proud smile.

"Congratulations Mrs. Stacy. It won't be long and she can have visitors already. Are you excited to meet your friends and family Ms. Cristine?"

Cristine withdrew her gaze from the window and looked at the doctor. With a weak smile she replied, "I am. I want to know what happened in the past five years. And, I'm finally gonna see him."

Confused, the doctor asked, "Him? Oh, it seems you're expecting someone special."

Cristine chuckled and once again turned to look outside.

The doctor looked at Mrs. Stacy who was turning gray and he understood why. When he mentioned about the coma to Cristine, she was confused and couldn't accept it. She was in turmoil. But contrary to the doctor's expectation, she was able to calm herself and understand the situation. The doctor didn't allow her to have visitors in order for her to recuperate in peace. Now that she's to meet her family and friends, would she be able to keep up with the changes? In that five years of her sleeping, the people she knew continued with their own lives. The doctor can't help but let out a sigh before leaving the room.

----------

Cristine was reading a book when the sound of the door opening broke the silence in her room. Her mother went to work and was expected to come back later that day. It could also not be the nurse as she just left a few minutes ago. Brows furrowed, she looked at the direction of the door, curious as to who would come in.

She waited for some time but no one entered. She was just about to speak when she noticed a head slowly emerging at the side part of the door. At first, she could see the hair, then the forehead, next the eyes, and then the nose. The eyes blinked once, then twice. The eyes looked at Cristine and made different shapes. It's as if the person owning those eyes couldn't believe what he is seeing and making sure he isn't seeing things.

"What are you peeking at for? Just get your ass inside!", shouted by a voice from the outside.

Just as those words were heard, the owner of the squinting eyes was pushed into the room and fell on the floor.

After him, a girl came inside and saw Cristine. She waved her hand and with a deep low voice uttered, "Aya! Baobei! I haven't seen you in a while."

Please don't forget to vote and comment. Your support motivates me more as a newbie writer. Thank you! ~~Kisses & Hugs~~