Chapter 17 Trust

Cristine froze. She looked at the back of the man who was walking away. She moved her feet, wanting to catch up to him but she just froze on her spot.

Tony, "Let's go out. You need to be warmed."

Tony looked at the girl who just stared at the direction where Clint left. He grabbed her wrist and pulled her.

As they walked towards the opening of the cave, Cristine recalled how she fell into the water.

"Wow! Having fun?", Giselle rhetorically asked. "Well, as expected of someone who takes advantage of other people's money." Cristine was having fun taking selfies when Giselle suddenly popped out of nowhere.

Cristine sighed. She wanted to avoid confronting the woman, so she turned to walk away but Giselle grabbed her arms to stop her.

"You're really thick faced, aren't you?"

Cristine, "Let go." She pulled her arm from Giselle's hold and faced her. "I don't know what you are talking about but I am not that kind of person."

Giselle scoffed, "Really?"

Cristine wrinkled her temples.

"Well, Clint might be kind to you now but after five months and the contract expires, I guess he will just throw you away like trash.", Giselle sneered.

Cristine bravely replied, "And what if he doesn't?"

Giselle scoffed, "What?"

Cristine, "Why are you so sure that he will throw me away? Did he tell you that?"

Giselle stepped closer, "You!" She lifted her index finger and pushed Cristine's shoulder. "How dare you talk back to me?" She continued to push Cristine's shoulder using her finger. "A woman like you who's nothing needs to be put into place!"

Cristine was about to retaliate but when she moved her foot, she slipped and lost her balance causing her to fall into the water.

Tony looked at the pitiful girl who sat in a daze. "Don't think too much about it. That's how he really is."

"I didn't tell him to jump in the water to save me. Why is he angry at me? And besides, I thought he couldn't swim?", Cristine said in a whisper.

"Yeah! You didn't ask him to save you! He should have been angry at the one who pushed you. Why did he get angry at the both of us?", Tony complained.

Cristine, "She didn't push me. I slipped."

Tony, "What? You want me to believe that?"

She looked up at him, "I really slipped. She didn't push me into the water."

"Really?", Tony was surprised. "But, anyway, he shouldn't have shouted at you. If I didn't leave you, this might not have happened. It's all my fault."

"No. Clint was right. It's my fault. I was careless.", Cristine frowned.

She couldn't describe what she was feeling. She recalled Clint's angry face. He always wore a placid expression and that was the first time Clint scolded her.

She recalled Giselle's words.

'...after five months and the contract expires, I guess he will just throw you away like trash'

Was this what she meant. That the guy was just kind to her in the past few days because of the contract. And today, he couldn't control his anger and finally showed what he truly is. A frightening man who doesn't tolerate mistakes.

Mistakes?

What did she do? She just fell into the water.

No matter how Cristine thought about it, she couldn't figure out why Clint was enraged at her for falling into the water.