Chapter 84 - Retribution: Terror

Natalia's P. O. V

My heart was pounding.

With every step that took us to the Lightwood territory, my body revolted. My hands clammed up with sweat and my stomach teetered on nauseousness. By the time we were on the edge of the territory, the most primal part of me wanted to jet off back to my territory, to where I felt safe.

"Are you alright?" Kirstin asked beside me.

I nodded, "I'm fine. Let's do this."

I put my necklace on and she followed suit, our forms fading out of sight. I shoved my fear aside and let my muscle memory lead me. My lungs threatened me with hyperventilation, filling with scents I wanted to scrub from the face of the earth, but I forced my breathing under control, only focusing on putting one foot in front of the other.

My steps came to a halt at the edge of the forest. When my eyes fell on the pack house, I nearly burst into flames.

'I'll go on ahead.' Kirstin's voice cut through the pandemonium in my head.

'Okay'

The grass rustled softly under her feet as she pushed off her toes in a sprint. I could make out the vague shadow of her form as she scaled the side of the building and climbed in through her still open window.

All that was left was to wait.

I eased myself into a cross legged position on the grass. My unblinking gaze remained trained on the building, my very own house of horrors.

Candy stirred in the back of my mind, but said nothing in silent comfort.

I'd been hunted for sport in these woods. My blood had been soaked in the soil of these woods. I'd limped my way to freedom in the dead of the night through these woods.

It was time to make a new memory in these woods.

I waited for half an hour, before I noticed Kirstin's light treads towards me.

'I'm over here.' I told her, knocking lightly on a tree next to me.

She followed the sound, feeling around till her hand brushed mine and she took a seat, 'I did as you instructed and waited in my room till Kylie passed. When she did, I grabbed her from the hallway and used my gift to tell her to leave a note saying that she'll be staying with her parents tonight then to walk beyond the territory in the woods and confess her biggest fear. She should be here soon.'

I nodded, then remembered she couldn't see me, 'Good work, thank you.'

'It's my pleasure.' Her inner voice dripped in bitterness.

'Are you alright?' This was also the person her mate had rejected her for.

She paused, then said truthfully, 'I don't know...'

My hand found hers, 'Are you sure you don't want to join me?'

When I'd told her what I had planned for Kylie, she'd declined my invitation for her to join me in the final step, simply content with watching her suffer from the trees.

"I don't want to waste energy on her when there's Clark to deal with." She'd spat, a dark look on her face.

'I'm sure.'

'Well, you can always let me know if you change your mind.'

'Okay...'

I closed my eyes, feeling Candy's presence within me. Fostering the connection, I brought myself to a partial shift, my nails lengthening to claws through the gloves I wore.