'~ Chapter 18 - Yes Sir ~'

~~~

Neil came running down the hall to his dorm with a smile plastered on his face. His fellow students were all running in the opposite direction, down to the dining hall for dinner. He muttered his lines from the play to himself as he approached his dorm. His demeanor changed however, when he opened his door to come face to face with his father. 

"Father." Neil greeted, his voice trembling unintentionally. 

"Neil." Mr Perry stood up from Neil's desk, a stern look plastered on his face.

"Before you say anything please let me-"

"Don't you dare talk back to me." Mr Perry cut him off- "It's bad enough that you've wasted your time with this- this absurd acting business. But you deliberately deceived me." he stepped in closer, his face reddening with frustration- "How did you expect to get away with this?" 

Neil simply gazed back at his father, unable to speak for fear that tears would make an appearance. 

"Answer me." Mr Perry pressed- "Who put you up to it? Was it this new man, this, uh, Mr. Keating? No. It was the Hawthorne girl, wasn't it? I knew she was a terrible influence from the beginning." 

"No, nobody- I thought I'd surprise you. I've gotten all A's in every class." Neil tried desperately to convince him, but to no avail.

"So did you think I wasn't gonna find out? 'Oh, my niece is in a play with your son' says Mrs. Marks. 'No, no, no,' I say, 'You must be mistaken. My son's not in a play.' You made a liar out of me Neil!" 

Neil simply stood there, his eyes prickling with tears.

"Now, tomorrow, you go to them and you tell them that you're quitting."

"No, I can't. I have the main part! The performance is tomorrow night!" 

"I don't care if the world comes to an end tomorrow. You are through with that play." Mr Perry yelled at him, then switched his tone to a dangerously low one- "Is that clear?"

He received no answer.

"Is that clear?" he asked once more, with force.

"Yes sir." 

Mr Perry then made for the door, stopping just before it- "I made a great many sacrifices to get you here, Neil. And you will not let me down." 

"No sir." Neils throat had dried completely.

Mr Perry exited, leaving Neil with his eyes trained on the floor, trying desperately not to let any tears fall.

'~'

At the Howthorne residence, Dione was settled in her bedroom. On her desk was a blank piece of husky green paper, surrounded by many pressed flowers. She pulled out a pen and began to write on the letter. When finished, she glued a few of the flowers to it. She placed it in an envelope, sealing it. She then stuck a single pressed daisy over the seal. 

She then curled up in bed, a book in one hand, a cup of hot chocolate in the other, and read the night away in anticipation of the show tomorrow night.

'~'

Back at Welton, Neil entered Mr. Keating's dormitory with a knock.

"Can I speak with you a minute?" 

"Certainly. Sit down." Keating motioned to a chair, which he soon realized was stacked with books, to which the pair moved them.

"Can I get you some tea?" Keating offered.