fifty one

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter fifty one

"I blame myself for this happening."

I narrowed my eyebrows up at Edward, slightly glaring at him as his father rotated my hands to search for any sprain or bruising. "Yeah, you should. You left me alone to take a trip to Italy."

Instead of recoiling in any dismay — he smiled softly and kissed the top of my head. "And I'll spend every day for the rest of my life making it up to you."

"Yeah, get his ass, Aspen." Emmett chuckled just as he entered the living room and stretched out on the couch beside us.

I glanced over at him immediately and grinned wide. I knew he would always have my back. "Make him grovel, Pen." He told me when we met up again after the events of Italy — Rosalie taught him well.

Carlisle tried to hold back some laughter as he gently placed my hands down on my lap. "Nothing serious, just some redness that should be gone by tomorrow. They might bruise so try not to strain yourself doing any heavy lifting." He rubbed his thumb over my cheek like a caring father and flashed me a reassuring smile.

He stood from the stool stationed in front of me and Edward quickly occupied it before anyone could, and carefully took my hands in his.

"You should've made him pay for it," Rosalie muttered softly from across the room.

I glanced at the blonde from over my shoulder. She was sitting in a chair with one leg crossed over the other, reading over the morning newspaper while trying to seem uninterested in the top. She must've felt my gaze from across the room because her bright golden eyes locked with mine briefly and I flashed her a shy smile.

Edwards thumbs caressed my knuckles and the cool touch actually felt good against the throbbing pain. "I've let too many things slide when it comes to your safety. I'm the worst boyfriend."

Instantly, I rolled my eyes at his pity comment. "Okay, calm down drama queen." I flashed him a quick grin then shook my head with soft laughter. "It's fine, I'm fine. I'm over it."

"I'm not," he grumbled.

His eyebrows furrowed and his gaze was still locked on my weak hands. He raised them to plant several kisses on top of my skin and it sent small shock waves through my body.

"Just think, Pen." Emmett turned the tv onto some sports channel as he reclined comfortably across the entire couch. "Once you're a little badass newborn, you'll be able to kick his ass into the next century for leaving you and letting another man scoop you up."

"Nobody scooped me up, Emmett." I rolled my eyes.

Edward placed my hands back down on my lap before resting his own on his hip, sending Emmett a cold glare. "Hey, there will be no scooping while I'm still alive. He's lucky I didn't break his jaw."

"Oh brother," Edythe suddenly appeared with my brother at her side. "Is it Aspen you're in love with or Kai? Because you talk about him an awful lot — enemies to lovers trope, perhaps?"

Beau was at my side instantly and patted my head. "How's it looking? Dad's asleep in his chair waiting for you to get home."

"I'm fine." I responded.

My shoulders slouched and a pang of guilt washed over me instantly. I loved my dad so much, with the way he always waited for me and made sure I returned home safe from anywhere. But the fact it was a recurring thing now that I constantly kept him up late and stressed, had me worried I would send him into cardiac arrest one day.