THE LETTER

The curious lady walks into the bookstore. She gets eager to lay her hands on another book to read for this month which she had added to her reading list last week on the book tracking website. However, to her surprise, upon grabbing the copy of the said book placed closer to her on the table, Mary doesn't expect an envelope addressed to her as she opens it. The table showcases a handpicked collection by the employees, so it had to be one of them or someone is stalking her.

A chill runs down her spine as she gets an eerie feeling of being watched. She turns around fast enough for her eyes to catch a shadow looming in the corner but it is long gone.

She checks out the book as she brushes the feeling off and flashes an awkward smile to the cashier. She then walks out of the store as quickly as possible. However, curiosity gets the better of her as she stops by a bench and opens the book containing the envelope. The tree itself decides to shed its leaves at the exact moment as one of them lands between the pages and Mary cannot help but curse it for making the moment so romantic.

She takes the envelope out of the book. She carefully tears the opening off from the top with a nail sharpener or sander, whatever it is called, and opens the letter. She empties out the contents. A folded piece of paper with writing on it, her favourite flower, black lily pressed and a ticket. She picks out the letter from the stack and flips it. A caramel coloured wax seal greets her. Her fingers trace the symbol sealed onto the letter, a lion. Gryffindor. She chuckles, realising that a Slytherin can never get along with a gryffindor. Never.

She unfolds the paper growing impatient and starts reading it.

"Dear Mary, you might be surprised to find this letter and I know it feels a bit creepy to find it in your next read. So please, for the love of god, don't log your reading history online onto some website where anyone can stalk you."

"This is rubbish. Everyone has a goodreads. Why is he acting like he knows everything about me?" She speaks to herself. Classic May!

She continues reading the letter.

"I know you really wanted to visit the Met this weekend for the exhibition of [insert artist oil whose architecture is like 4d] and that the tickets sold out. But don't worry, I'll be your secret santa even though it's not christmas yet. There are round trip flight tickets to New York and the exhibition pass in the envelope. Hope you enjoy your weekend. Your secret admirer."

"He's gotta be kidding me" she exclaims and looks up at an imaginary camera as if she's a character in the sitcom OFFICE.

Placing the letter in the book so it does flow away, she picks up her phone and rings a contact on the top of her call list. There is only one person on it fyi.

"You will not believe what just happened."