Meeting at the bookstore - 2

SAMEER'S POV

My fingers run over the engravings of the book's cover. This version of Crooked Kingdom has and will always be my favourite but I just cannot make it mine yet. I do not possess the assets to invest in my dear belongings. Perhaps another day, when my wallet is much heavier.

This bookstore has been my favourite not because it's a landmark on the Harvard campus. But I love coming here for the collection of books but return with disappointment because i'm practically bankrupt.

I place the book back as I sigh, disappointed in myself for not even being able to afford a hardcover. I turn around, thinking to check out some other books, perhaps outside my comfort zone. I spot the new mystery and thriller releases laid beautifully near the entrance and decide to check some out.

My eyes scan over the pile of books laid on the table, until they get caught over a special red hardcover. I extend my hand to grab the copy but to my surprise, I end up curling my fingers around someone's wrist.

I look up at the owner of the hand and my heart is awestruck by her beauty. Her raven hair falls over her caramel eyes which meet mine as they shine under the golden light of the light bulb above us.

"You can have it." I say, "I was just looking at it." She continued looking at me and confusion grew inside me until I realised I was holding her wrist. I quickly released my grip on her hand and let go of it before turning around and scurrying away in embarrassment.

I go to the corner of the bookstore where she cannot see me because I know she's searching for me. No one will forget a guy holding their hand instead of a book. That's humiliating. God. I silently scream after making sure nobody's looking in my direction.

I take my phone out and text Dae ho, my bro, hoping he's free right now.

Bro bro bro

you won't believe what just happened

What?

We made eye contact bro

GET HELP

Crying emoji

Are you being fr?

Crying emoji

10 mins

The coffee shop

SPILL THE TEA

I shut my phone, spilling it in my pocket before I exit the bookstore from the back door because I cannot afford to see her again after that humiliating moment of my life in front of a pretty girl.

I walk to the coffee shop in the alley behind where me and Dae ho usually hangout and I am waiting for him when I enter the store.

Wait. there's someone else sitting beside him. A girl? When did he get a girlfriend? Akhi(brother), that's haram!

"Okay dude before you freak out saying it's haram and stuff, she's maryam and we're working on a collaboration project together."

"Oh okay." I sit down, and take a deep breath. "How'd I know I'd say that?"

"Your face screams haram police."

"Okay dude whatever."

"So who's that lucky girl?"

"Dae ho! You won't introduce me? Besharam!"

"You're desi?"

"Yes, I'm maryam."

"I'm Sameer, from hyderabad, charminar wala."

"Aur mai karachi se."

"Sameer, chai yaar!"

"kys?"

"Spill the tea dude"

"Oh okay. So I was just trying to get this book and I accidentally held the girl's wrist."

"Dude, now that's haram!"

"I didn't mean to." I cried, "It was an accident and she was looking at me like she wanted to kill me."

"Wait, where did this happen?" Maryam cuts in with suspicion as if connecting the dots.

"Harvard bookstore."

"Wait a second." She pulls her phone. "Is this her?" She showed me the pic of a girl and I recognized those caramel brown eyes and those raven black hair.

"That's her! but - Wait- how-"

She and Dae ho break out into a fit of laughter.

"Mujhe kyun sata rahe ho yaar?"

"I love how we both received texts after you both met."

"How do you know her?"

"She's my best friend. And she texted me saying, 'I met this cute guy at the bookstore who ran away after seeing me'. It was so funny when dae ho showed me your text"

"I was like, did these two meet each other, because you would definitely run away after any form of female interaction."

I cover my face with my hands as I sigh. "Meri izzat mat nikalo yaar aise"

"Don't worry, sameer. I'll help you win her heart."

"How do you know I like her?"

She looked at dae ho with a smile on her face and I knew what it meant. "Dae ho, gadhe ke bache" I lean across the table to slam his head with a book. "You can't keep a fucking secret dude"

"Sorry" he pleads, catching his ears and i melt at the sight

"Okay."

"How long have you been stalking her?"

"3 months- wait-"

" I know, sameer. Your secret is safe with me."