Meeting at the bookstore

Mary's POV

A mere stranger stands beside me and we both reach out for the same book. Will he let me have it like a gentleman, or, take it for himself?

They say love finds you in the most unexpected moments. Perhaps, it is true, as my heartbeat fastens at the sight of a young man's fingers grazing against mine, while we both reach out for the same book.

***

Today has been a regular day for everyone.

The cold winter breeze was blowing as it caressed their skin and froze their fingers. The weather serves as a perfect excuse to hold your loved one's hands in attempts of warming them and stealing secret little touches from them.

This morning brings me joy, and excitement of a new semester along with the end of a long wait for the sequel of your favourite mystery series.

The bookstore around the corner was in sight, and upon entering it, I was greeted by the comforting smell of books graced with a hint of vanilla. It smelled like home, warm and tender, opening its arms wide for you to find peace in its embrace.

My eyes scanned across the display for the sight of the anticipated book and when they finally found it, my legs moved on their own as if your body was reacting to the joy bursting in my mind upon spotting the red and black hardcover. It was the royal collectors edition of Dracula.

The black cover was inked with red, to colour the engravings and it reminded me of my satin face mask. I smiled to myself at the pretty memory and brushed back the hair falling on my eyes with my other hand.

As my hand advanced forward to pick the book, it accidentally brushed against a young man's fingers. He's determined to grab the particular copy but I had laid eyes on it first, so theoretically it belongs to me.

My eyes trail upwards, along the sleeve of his beige coat and eventually land upon his eyes. They're mesmerising, as if the soft brown irises hold back a tragic history of war and glory enclosed behind them.

I find myself getting lost in them, as my heartbeat fastens when the pad of his fingers caress my wrist, curling themselves around it. The raven hair graciously falling over them enhances his beauty as if he is a Greek god.

His soft lips, blushed with a coral tint part and slip out a few words. "You can have it." He says softly, and it is much of a whisper to my ears but they are blessed to hear his gracious voice. I hear the ticking of the clock and the click when the planets and the stars all align to intervene our fates together.

"I was just looking at it.." he trails along, unlocking the grip of his fingers on my wrist and turning away from me as he rubs his neck. He decides to lay his eyes everywhere except in my direction as make the decision to lay mine only on his.

I notice the hint of coral, painting the tips of his ear a pretty red, before he disappears into one of the isles. I chuckle at his shyness as a smile spreads across my eyes while my eyes desperately search for him in the crowd. What a strange boy. I hope the universe crosses our paths again.