Chapter Nine

When I woke up, it was lighter and everything was cozy, like being on a cloud. I kept my eyes closed and snuggled deeper into the bed. But when something tightened around my waist, my eyes shot open. I wasn't on my side anymore and there was only one thing this could be. I turned a little and saw Oswell's sleeping face. He looked so young, so peaceful, so godly. I slowly twisted until I was fully facing him. I just wanted to take in this sight, of him like this, before I had to crush it by waking him up. His hair was hanging over his face a little, so I gently lifted my arm and brushed it out of the way. He tightened his hold on me and muttered a few words, something that went like "Just a few more minutes." Was he awake? I whispered his name, but he didn't respond, so I knew he was asleep. What was he talking about then? I tried to move away so I could get my phone and check the time, but as soon as I moved a little, he tightened his hold again. I sighed, knowing I was going to have to wake him up.
"Oswell, wake up," I said. He stirred a little, but not enough to prove he was fully awake. I shook him a little and his eyes slowly opened, looking hazy like he was still in the dream. Then they focused on me and he smiled, studying me like a work of art.
"I had a dream about you," he mumbled, surprising me.
"What was it about?" I asked, curious as to if it had anything to do with his words.
"We were in a park, having a picnic. We were both having so much fun, but then you insisted you had to leave and I didn't want you to. You looked so pretty in the light, especially with that dress," he murmured and I blushed.
"Sounds like a good dream," I commented.
"It was," he agreed.
"Oh, and can you release me?" I requested and looked down, seeing his arms encaging me.
"I guess I didn't follow my own suggestion," he remarked, removing his arms from around me. Once they were gone, I instantly missed them and the warmth they brought.
"We'd better get going," I reminded him and he nodded, sitting up on the edge of the bed. I waited for him to stand up, but he didn't. I was about to ask him what was wrong, when he told me.
"I wish you'd just tell me how you feel, even if it's not that much, just something. That way I know whether I can get my hopes up or not. I don't want to keep going on this path where I don't know how you feel, then I worry you'll tell me you don't like me," he informed me and I sat up too, but facing him. It was time I stopped fighting these feelings and admitted to him there was something there.
"I do have feelings for you, I just don't want to rush in too quickly, go too deep too fast," I revealed and he turned, happiness fully present on his face.
"Then we won't, we'll go slowly," he assured me.
"Okay," I agreed and he beamed. "But I'm not technically your girlfriend until you ask me," I added jokingly and he chuckled, getting out of bed. He made his way over to my side of the bed and knelt down on one knee making me gasp.
"Malise, will you be my girlfriend?" he asked and I smiled widely.
"Yes," I exclaimed, jumping on top of him. He caught me and hugged me tightly.
"We should probably head off," Oswell reminded me after a few moments. I nodded and we both got up. I got changed first and all I had was the black dress. I needed new clothes, soon. I pulled my hair into a high pony and walked out of the room. When Oswell saw me, he stopped and looked me over.
"This is the only thing I have that I haven't really worn yet," I explained and he nodded.
"We'll go shopping then," he decided, walking past me to the bathroom. I looked in the mirror and saw the bruise on my arm was very apparent. I looked to the closed bathroom door, then quickly raised my dress to look at my hip. Another very nasty looking bruise. I sighed and lowered my dress, inspecting the one on my arm again. It was almost all black with a bit of red in the middle. There was a smaller, less severe, one on my left arm, where the door had hit me. Oswell couldn't see this or he'd lose it and demand we go back so he could kill Caellum. I grabbed my leather jacket and put it on, along with my hat, gloves and runners. I would put the glasses on when we were leaving the room. Oswell came out of the room and smiled at me, so I returned it. We got all our stuff together and I slid my sunglasses on as we walked out of the room. Oswell checked us out and we walked to the car, putting everything in the back seat. It was kind of hot outside, so I took off my jacket as we got in the car. Oswell started the car, but then he didn't move.
"What's wrong?" I worried, looking over at him. His eyes were focused on my arm and I silently cursed.
"This is from Caellum, isn't it?" he guessed and I nodded.
"Keep calm," I begged and he gripped the steering wheel tightly, his knuckles turning white.
"I'm trying, but every part of me wants to go back and rip him apart," he growled.
"Don't think about that. Think about . . . this morning. Your dream," I replied and he stopped for a moment, before a smile spread on his face.
"It was a good morning," he agreed, then he started driving. I turned the radio on and "Good for You" by Selena Gomez was playing. I started singing along to it, knowing all the words because of how much it'd been on recently. I heard Oswell chuckle, so I looked over and saw him smiling, taking quick glances at me.
"What's so funny?" I questioned as the rap part started.
"Nothing, you're just really good," he blushed and I smiled. When Selena started singing again, so did I and Oswell decided to join in, making me laugh my head off.
"I'm sorry to admit it, but you're not so good," I laughed and he did too. The song ended and "Bang My Head" by David Guetta ft. Sia came on. I just listened to this one, creating images for the words I could understand.
"What are you doing?" Oswell inquired.
"I'm creating images for the words. I do it a lot," I explained to him. We drove in silence after that. "Lean On" by Major Lazer was on next and I sang along to it. "How long till we get to Bondi now?" I asked as "Hotline Bing" by Drake started.
"Well, we were in Echuca, so about 7 hours," he estimated and I sighed. Now would be a great time to sleep. I made myself comfortable and closed my eyes as "The Hills" by The Weekend came on.