Coronation Week Part 1

Chapter 30

I walked into the richly decorating dining hall, smiling as Henry offered me his arm as the whole room rose. The big banquet table went all the way to the giant open doors that led onto the twinkling dance floor set up in the garden. I smiled as he pulled the chair out from the head of the table so I could take a seat, as he went to my right. The people sat down after I did, and music struck in the corner. The conversation began after a short toast from Henry to all of our health, and then the food began to arrive. I knew I was the center of attention, but I chatted politely with Henry and Josephine, ignoring Fitzgerald, who was seated on my left, all together.

"Elijah, didn't you think the city at Westlake was just wonderful?" I asked him, leaning across Fitzgerald to do so. Fitz gave me a confused look before going back to his soup.

"I don't know," He laughed. "It's a special place, not entirely my taste." Harriet's tinny laugh rang over the crowd, making me crinkle my nose up at her. Elijah smirked, taking a bite of his soup as well. I rolled my eyes, turning back to Henry.

The dinner ended an hour later, and the party transitioned out into the garden. Fitz grabbed my arm before he could head outside.

"What did I do now?" He asked. I glared at him and jerked my arm out of his grip. I looked ahead, seeing Marie looking at us with wide eyes. She should be scared of when I finally got a hold of her.

"You know exactly what you did!" I hissed, grabbing my skirt with both hands. His face went blank in confusion. I looked around, leaning over, "I know what happened between you and Marie. How could you be so stupid?" I snapped before storming out into the garden, Marie disappearing from where she stood. I headed over to Henry, who was talking to a young couple, the man tall with broad shoulders and light brown hair cut to fall perfectly over his forehead. The woman was shorter than most, with an extremely small waist and olive toned skin. Her hair was a rich brown that fell to her waist in thick curls. She wore a simple golden dress that shimmered as she moved and hugged her hips tightly without being scandalous.

"Oh, darling," Henry said, reaching for my arm. "This is James Calais, Duke of Mckenzie, and his wife, Echolyn, the Duchess of Verone." I smiled as the curtsied to me.

"Nice to meet you both." I said, as they both rose. Echolyn smiled up at her husband, who wrapped an arm around her waist.

"Nice to meet you Princess," She said, her voice musical. "I've been looking forward to getting out of that stuffy old Mckenzie Manor since your invitation came!" She laughed. Her husband scoffed, rolling his eyes as he pulled away.

"That stuffy old manor that is situated on a ten thousand acre estate? That stuffy old manor you just completely gutted and remolded? That stuffy old manor?" He exclaimed, his dark eyes twinkling at her as she laughed, pulling away from him. "I just put in a giant pond for goodness sake!"

"And you refused to fence it in!" She clarified, pointing her finger at him. "I'm terrified that Patrick's is going to fall in!" I looked to Henry, who smiled as he watched the handsome couple bicker.

"Patrick's our son," the Duchess said, turning back to me, reaching out to grab my arm as she spoke. "Alexander Patrick Calais. A mouthful, but someone just had to have the firstborn be named after his wonderful Grandfather." I laughed as she accused her husband yet again.

"James!" Elijah exclaimed, striding forward with a drink in his hand, embracing the man, who roared with laughter the moment he saw Elijah. "It's been ages!"

"Ages? It's been eons!" James replied. "Echo, look it's Elijah 'Sebastian Slayer.'" Echolyn smiled reaching out to hug him.

"How are you, Eli?" She asked, kissing his cheek boldly.