After

Chapter 33

The palace had fallen silent in the days that followed my coronation day. The ball had been a smashing success, with the only minor problems being an altercation with Lord Jordan and myself and an exchange with Micah. I was padding through the palace in the early hours of the morning on my way to a war cabinet meeting, trying to avoid everyone and avoid thinking of Micah.

"Your majesty," A voice called behind me. There was no doubt in anyone's voice now, it wasn't a corrective your highness or my lady. I turned to see Elijah coming up behind me. I smiled slight, "Heading to the war cabinet?"

I nodded, "How are you? I haven't seen much of you these past few days." He shrugged.

"I'm fine. You're the one everyone's worried about." I raised an eyebrow as we began to head up the final set of stairs to the war room. "You've been unusually chipper these past few days." I scoffed.

"I never thought being a good mood was cause for worry." I laughed, looking over my shoulder at him. "Besides, I've just been crowned Queen of a country. I don't imagine there are much better things in life." He shook his head.

"There are much more important things." He said, stopping for a moment. "You should remember that. Don't get caught up in your duties and limit your happiness."

"What are you trying to say?" I asked, spinning to face him. His face was hard under his words, and his eyes were so closed off, like when I first met him.

"If Micah is the man you want to be with, Avalyn, don't be unhappy just because he's not nobility..." He started to say. I groaned throwing my head back.

"Not this again" I turned, stomping up the stairs.

"I'm serious!" Elijah exclaimed, following closely behind. "He'll be back today, and whatever news he brings will either be cause for war or celebration. Don't..."

"Elijah!" I rounded on him. "Stop. I'm tired of everyone thinking I need a man to be happy. I can be happy all on my own. So, let's go to this meeting, listen to the reports, and decided what to do next. That's how I'm living my life, alright? One decision, one events, one day at a time." I stomped away, turning down the corridor on the top floor of the palace, heading to the turret where war meetings were held. My mind wander back to the events of that night, my heart stopping slightly.

CORONATION NIGHT

I was standing in a corner, sipping a glass of wine that Echolyn and James had brought over to me, watching the crowd laugh and dance. It was a wonderful party, but I stood with my arms crossed.

"A crown can't fix loneliness it would seem." A slurring voice came from behind me. I turned my head to see Lord Conrad. His face was red and I could smell the liquor on his breath. Leave it to that unruly cousin to cause trouble.

"Well then I don't understand why you expect my crown to fix all your problems." I snapped. He laughed loudly.

"Unlike you dear cousin, I know how to use the power of the crown. Plus it suits me." He hissed, throwing his drink down. "So, I give you a choice." I raised my eyebrows, my mouth set in a firm line. "Give me your crown, either through abdication or marriage." I burst into a fit of laughter.

"I'd never marry you." I snapped. "And you will never wear my father's crown." I turned on my heel, ready to get away from him. His hand shout out, clasping my arm in his hand. I glared at him.

"You will do either of the two." He hissed, his face drawing closer to me. "Or you will suffer the consequences." I rolled my eyes.

"Let go of me!" I demanded, the crowd around me starting to focus their attention on the interaction between us