Chapter 4: Arrowhead

Rein's POV
"You've got to be fucking kidding me." McGary whispered to himself as we positioned ourselves behind the bases of the large pine trees. The setting of the sun had started to darken the sky, allowing us a natural cloak from our enemies.

"Who are these people?" Campbell asked me and I began to slow my breathing. I needed them both to shut the hell up so I could listen. There was another snapped branch somewhere distant.

Think, Rein. What did you see? I asked myself.

I remembered the arrow that whizzed past us. It's structure was... different. My mind faded back to the first time I had truly experienced the stone carved edge of a Black Lotus Arrow.

I could feel my back hit the caves walls as blood began to soak my shirt. I hadn't even noticed I'd been hit until the dull pain became a sharp one. Fallowing the edge of the cave with my hand, I stumbled deeper into the darkness as I tried my hardest to take my mind off the excruciating experience. The walls began to grow icier to the touch the further down I went.

I knew my things were only a few feet ahead when I could barely make out the fire pit I had lit earlier. I slid the matchbox out of my bag and lit one before tossing it into the fire and slowly sliding myself onto the floor. I had chose this location earlier in the day because no one would know I was here. The caves tunnels were buried so deep, the light from the flame couldn't reach the entrance.

I glanced down at the arrow that was now extruding from my abdomen as I laid out numerous amounts of gauze and medical tape. My hands grabbed the end of the arrow as I braced myself for what was to come.

I took one deep breath before my hands snapped the wood sideways. Excruciating pain shot through my stomach but all I could do was bite down hard on my teeth and wipe away the access blood from the wound. I wouldn't be able to remove the jagged arrow without making an incision into myself. I grabbed the sharp blade from my pack and held it against the fire as I pulled out a bottle of whiskey.

It was gunna be a long night.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by the sound of a gunshot as Campbell fired his weapon towards the direction of where the arrow was shot from. As expected, we heard a cry out as the bullet hit it's intended target. Campbell never missed.

"I'll take the path west through the forest to insure it was just one person." I nodded to Campbell as I grabbed my black case.

"You're just going to let her go out alone?" I heard McGary ask while I made my way through the trees. Campbell and McGary approached the man Campbell shot.

Something still felt wrong.

I wrapped around the far side of the forest as I approached Campbell and McGary. My body slowed almost instantly as I felt something else. My hand instinctively slid one of my daggers out from my right boot. My breathing was steady and in tune. I faintly heard the sound of another arrow being pulled back further through the forest. The sound was distinct to me.

"Get down!" I called again, as my hand slid the blade completely out before flicking my wrist in a swift hand motion and throwing it directly  above McGary's head. Both Campbell and McGary dropped to the floor just in time. The blade cut directly through the bushes before we heard another man cry out.

Both McGary and Campbell looked at me before looking towards the shrubs where part of another man's body lay.

"Black lotus?" McGary asked, pulling himself up as I walked towards the two men.

"If they were the Black Lotus, we'd be dead. The Black Lotus do not miss." I replied, signaling towards the arrow that had barely missed us, and hit the tree to the left of us.