one

Chapter 01 | The Focal Point of Admiration

"Not poop," Aaryan groaned. "Anything but Bandit's poop."

Upon lifting his shoe and looking down, much to his chagrin, it was, in fact, Bandit's poop. Aaryan frowned and ran a hand through his hair, rubbing his face after. The day had not even begun yet and had already taken such a wrong turn. Grimacing at the thought of more such surprises hiding somewhere in a corner just waiting to jump out at him, Aaryan made his way to the kitchen.

"Mama!"

Nausheen looked up from the chapati she was rolling out. "What happened now?"

"Bandit pooped in the hallway!"

Nausheen scrunched her nose. "Well well, it's about time that monstrous cat starting showing her true colors!"

"Actually, it's a him."

"Well, that's a relief! At least I won't have to worry about him going out and getting pregnant and then having to take care of her million babies!" Nausheen huffed, and much to her amusement, her son began to laugh.

"Is that all you care about? Bandit not getting pregnant?"

Nausheen flipped over a chapati on the pan. "As if one of their kind was not enough! Imagine if we had a million little balls of fur running around the house and scratching the furniture! Oh my God! I would've moved out the first chance I got!"

Aaryan fisted a hand under his chin and leaned against the kitchen table where he sat. "Well, what do you say we do about the mess Bandit's made in the hallway?"

"I say we clean it up and hand the cat over to Mubaraka. Hasn't she always wanted a kitten? At least he'll be well out of our hair!"

The tips of Aaryan's ears colored, and he stood up from the table. "I'm just gonna get a rag and clean it up."

"Use the one in the laundry basket, and make sure you throw it away after you're done!"

Aaryan nodded absently, and once he had retrieved the rag from the laundry room, he climbed the stairs back up to the hallway and began to clean up the mess Bandit had made. Thankfully, he had been wearing slippers when the unfortunate incident had happened, and he had taken them off and kept them in his bathroom. He would just have to clean them later. Aaryan worked in silence, and just as he had wiped off the last of the poop, holding his nose with the other hand, he threw the rag into a plastic bag and disposed of it in the wastebasket.