Chapter 11

2 Weeks Later

I've never been the dressy type but the rate at which I started wearing things I didn't wear in the past was alarming, courtesy of my best friend Avery. Somehow along the line (after my cast was removed), I had become his pet project. I'd dress up and come out and he'd cluck his tongue like a chicken after assessing my outfit before saying "I cant believe this. Hopeless. Hopeless. Hopeless."

At one point, I had decided to wear what I had worn to that date with Jason in the past and he had literally looked into the sky, pulled his hair —which must have been very painful— and screamed before he then said, like a mother giving up on her child "Have I not tried Nica? Have I not tried to pound all about dressing into your head? You know I have, and I'm not giving up, no matter what."

I knew the reason for his intense dress up sessions. Ever since almighty Keith had declared that I was now worth his time, Avery had chanted Don't give in so easily. Make him beg for it, show him what he's missing, Like a mantra.

While he was brushing my hair, I had asked the question of the year,which had resulted in a legendary eye roll. "Why exactly are we doing this Ave?"

"Because you need to show him want he's missing. You need to make him say I could have been tapping that if I hadn't messed up."

"He already tapped it." I muttered under my breath.

"A drunken moment doesn't count."

"Why are you putting me through all this stress Ave? I thought you like him. I can help you woo him if it will save me from shopping with you all the time."

"Because Sherlock, he likes pussy. And last time I checked, I ain't got one."

"I could give you mine. They did say pussy is pussy everywhere you go." I said in a hopeful voice that made him laugh and kiss my forehead.

"You are cute Nica. But I don't want your man. What I want to do is help you get yours to show he's worth your time, and I know that's what you want isn't it?" I nodded and he continued. 

"Nothing good comes easy sweetheart. You have to work for it. This is someone that has acted like you didn't exist for 3 years. You have to show him he's not the boss of you. Which reminds me you have to stop cleaning up after him."

"What? Of course not. He's my husband. If I don't do it who will?" I asked in exasperation.

"You hop when he tells you to and stop when he tells you to. You cook every time because he doesn't like his food refrigerated. He loves it fresh. You dress his bed for him every time. If the ingredients for his beloved fruit juice isn't complete you almost have a fit. If his shirt isn't properly ironed he says it and you immediately do it. If I didn't know you better I'd say you are a masochistic and you derive pleasure from doing all that slavery."

"Am I not supposed to do all that?"

"Yes, you are. But the way you go about it is extreme. It's been pretty much established that he used to do all that just to be mean. But you need to cut it down. You told me he has been doing stuff for himself as of recent. That's good. Think about it this way. Once you start practicing your profession, you won't leave in the middle of surgery just because you have to go and cook for your husband who likes his food fresh or go grocery shopping to get the things he likes in his juice. He's not a baby that needs constant looking after."