Chapter Three: Mistaken

I sit in class with my phone under the table, looking at the hurricane.

It went from a category three to a category four in six hours and as of right now, they have no idea where it's going.

I shove my phone in my bag and force myself to pay attention. It's my last year in college and I can't wait to be free with Danny.

He's going to e an architect so he can build houses and do the electricity. I'm going to be an interior designer so I can design the houses he builds. Usually interior designers only decorate the interior, obviously, but Danny is just handing the whole thing to me. I get to do it all, even the outside. I'm excited for that.

Originally I wanted to go into social services to take kids away from bad families but I decided that would be too much of a trigger for me, so I went with this instead.

The professor assigns a project for us to make a model house designed exactly how we would want it to look, and I can't wait.

I'm not just making the house, I'm making a property.

It's due in October but I'm going to start on it right away.

When he sends us off, I gather my books and head down the stairs.

I glance down at my phone to see if I have any messages, and I don't.

I notice the date says September twelfth.

That's right. It's my birthday.

That was my last class today, so I head out of the building to University Village. I walk all the way across campus and go straight upstairs.

Right when I walk in my door, Pepper starts going crazy, throwing her head back to howl.

I shush her and grab her leash.

She sits down and waits impatiently for me to clip it on her, and then I start going downstairs.

When I reach outside, she sees a squirrel and takes off running. The leash slips from my grasp and I start to run after her.

I see a blur of skin pass me and a guy with jet black hair catches her before she can murder the squirrel.

He turns around and my eyebrows raise.

I had a class with him. He has light skin, dark hair, and vibrant blue eyes that make him look as though he's wearing contacts. He has a blue muscle shirt on and a pair of khaki shorts, matched with blue vans. He runs his fingers through his hair and smiles at me, flashing a set of perfectly white straight teeth.

His lips are pink and not really thin, but not really pump either, and he has a nose that works well with his features. His jawline is very defined, too.

"I'm Matthew." He says, sticking out his hand.

"Gracelyn." I say, taking Pepper's leash from him.

He smiles. "So what are you going to do for your project?"

"I'm making a lake house." I say. Pepper tries to run again, so he takes the leash from my hand.

"I'll walk her." He laughs.

We start to walk through the grass and I keep my distance from him, watching Pepper.

"So how old are you?"

"I'm twenty one today." I say.

"Today's your birthday?" He asks with a smile.

"Yeah."