Chapter Six: Ocean City

I didn't speak.

I didn't' speak to my Dad. I didn't speak to Beatrice. I didn't speak to Caleb.

Danny got a U-Haul trailer and attached Ocean to the back of it.

It took almost triple the time it usually would have to get to Daytona. Pepper sat in the back seat, and after stopping for dinner with our parents leading the group, I moved Pepper to the front and kept my hand on my her the whole time.

Danny tried countless times to get me to talk to him, but I would just shrug, nod, or shake my head.

I keep reminding myself that my Mom won't be there, but it doesn't make me feel any better.

It's going to feel like she's there.

I'm scared to go back. I don't want to go back.

The Welcome to Maryland sign makes my heart feel like it's being squeezed and my eyes well with tears. I pull Pepper into an upright position and bury my head in her fur, unable to stop sobs from shaking my body.

I feel Danny reach over to squeeze my knee, but he doesn't say anything. I think he knows that nothing he can say will really help me right now.

Coming here last time was different. I was determined. I was trying to fix things with myself.

Never wanted to come here again, specifically Ocean City.

There's nothing wrong with Maryland itself. In fact, the state is beautiful, but I hate Ocean City.

Knowing that we're going there makes me feel like I'm being choked.

After a few minutes of me crying, Danny speaks up.

"I know you're not okay baby, and I don't expect you to be. I don't know if you're mad at me for bringing you here or if you're just upset, but whatever it is, it's okay. If you being pissed at me the whole time we're here helps you, so be it. But through all of this disgusting mental mess you're about to go through, I need you to remember that I'm here. I'm right here. If you want to talk, I'm a really good listener. If you don't want to talk, we can cuddle and watch movies. If you want to sit around and do absolutely nothing that's fine too. If you want to cry, you can cry on me. Either way, you're not alone, okay?"

I just nod against Pepper's fur and force my eyes on the window.

He puts his hand on my knee and leaves it there, only pulling it away to shift gears.

We have about thirty minutes left because if you come into Maryland through the islands, it's only a forty eight minute drive from the border of Virginia.

I feel sick to my stomach when things start to get familiar.

After another minute, I see that dreaded sign.

Welcome to Ocean City, Maryland

America's finest family resort

All-America City 2001

I watch buildings pass, Danny and I's elementary school, the old grocery store we used to go to.

This stuff should make me happy, but it doesn't.

The closer we get to my old neighborhood, the worse I feel. I pull my knees to my chest and watch as Danny takes the right turn.

A few seconds later, we're parking out front of the house.

It looks the same. Two stories, grey paint with a blue front door and blue window shutters. The porch cover still sits there, the same roof color...