Chapter Twenty-Three

Evan looked around the room. He had packed it in boxes, not wanting to look at any of it anymore. His paintings, drawings, art supplies all of it out of sight. He placed one of Katie's notebooks in his bag, one where she had written several poems to him. He also had a picture of her that he kept in his wallet. He was dressed in the camouflage suit that they had sent him and waited in his room for the bus to show. His parents had pleaded to him not to do this. They had always supported his talent and wanted him to pursue his art, but he had no intention to ever paint again. He couldn't. Katie was his inspiration and before that, the idea of Katie was his inspiration. He always knew one day he'd fall in love and after he saw her, he knew fate had sprung and that she would be the only girl he'd ever love. He intended to keep to that fate. He never would love another, he couldn't. She was his world and she was ripped from it. He thought about the poster he saw.

[EVERY SOLDIER HAS A REASON. WHAT'S YOURS?]

His was those cold murderous eyes that stared at him from the back of the police car. He couldn't get them out of his mind. The anger, and rage that consumed him had become too much and he needed something, a purpose. He needed a way out, and this was the only one he was brave enough to take. He thought about Linette. Maybe if he had reached out to her, and offered to cry alongside her she'd still be here, but alas there was another victim to those murderous eyes. The last message he had from Annie was a farewell, that she was keeping her promise to him and taking Katie to Niagara Falls and since then, she never returned. He looked over and stared at the box of Katie's things that Annie sent. He couldn't stand to look at all of them, but he did keep the notebook and photo.

A knock at his door distracted his thoughts. His mother looked at him. She looked so much older and he could see she was holding back her tears. "The bus is here," she said, her voice shaky. Evan stood up and grabbed the bag he nodded and followed her down the stairs. His father waited for them on the patio.

"Are you sure son, we can help you. We can work through this." His father said, his voice pleading.

"This is my choice." Evan stated. He turned to them and hugged them both.

"We love you," his mother cried out.

"I love you both too," Evan said stepping forward. He entered the bus and took his seat.

That was the last his parents ever saw him. He died several months later in battle, clutching her picture to his chest and whispering "at least I'll be with Katie now..."