Part Six

"Hey. You two. No making out in here. The principal will arrive shortly." The student that had retrieved Calvin said, laughed, then left. Calvin avoided Leo's gaze. He was the reason he was going to be suspended, or murdered, or expelled. The two sat in silence, one much more fearful than the other. Leo's parents already knew he was gay. He had come out earlier in the year. On the other hand, Calvin had never even mentioned homosexuality to his parents. This would certainly warrant an awkward discussion at home.
   Calvin had felt as that he had waited too long, and was about to leave, when finally, Principal Jackson entered the room. He was a good looking, relatively young man with brunette slicked back hair and pale skin. He sat into his large leather chair opposite Leo and Calvin.
"So.. this may get a bit awkward. I understand." He said, folding his hands. Leo and Calvin looked at each other nervously. "As I understand, you two were caught.. making out in the cafeteria? While other people were in there?" Calvin looked down in shame, and Leo just nodded. The principal just sighed. "As you two probably didn't know, we have fairly strict PDA rules at this school. And frankly, you boys stepped waaay over the line." Leo nodded, while Calvin started to cry. Again. "What do you boys have to say for yourselves?" The man asked, nodding towards Leo and Calvin. Leo spoke first.
"What I did wasn't appropriate for a school setting, and I won't do it again." The redhead said, scratching his head. The principal nodded.
"And you, Calvin?" Calvin looked up. It seemed like Leo had prepared something. Calvin hadn't an idea of what to say.
"What I did was, eh, wrong, for a learning environment, and it won't happen again." Calvin said the first thing he thought of, and luckily it didn't involve how good Leo's lip balm tasted.
"Now, I can see that you are both sorry, but you'll each have to serve a detention, and I'm calling your parents as well. Does that seem fair?" Leo and Calvin nodded.
"Yes, sir." They replied, almost in unison. Principal Jackson scribbled on two separate papers, and handed one to each boy.
"Now, Calvin, do I call your mother or father?" Calvin shrugged.
"My mom, I guess." He squeaked. As the man dialed Mrs. Lionheart's number on his office phone, Calvin's heart raced. He wasn't gay. He'd simply explain that it was an accident. Accidental makeout sessions happened all the time, right? Leo wasn't as anxious. His mom would punish him, sure, but she already knew that he liked boys, so that conversation wouldn't need to be had again.
"Hi, yes. This is Principal Jackson. We need to talk about your son, Calvin. See, the issue is, he was kissing another student during lunch in the cafeteria for an inappropriate amount of time, and- yes, the other student is being punished too. He's getting an after school detention today. Yes. Thank you for your time. Have a good day." And with that, he hung up. "You'll notice how I didn't mention the gender of the student. I figure I'll stay out of that conversation. And now, I'm calling your mother, Leo." He dialed Leo's mother's number in. She picked up almost immediately. "Hey, this is Principal Jackson and we need to talk about your son Leo. He was, uh, passionately kissing another student during lunch. He's getting after school detention today. The other student is being punished the same way. And you can talk about that at home. Thank you, and have a good day." The man hung up. "Now that that is settled, you two should get back to class. It's almost the end of 5th period now."
    'Oh my god, we missed the presentation,' Calvin thought as he nearly raced to the door. Leo followed behind, slower, and they gathered their things from their lockers. Awkwardly, they walked into science class together. All eyes were on them, even the teacher's. For the third time, the million suns made an appearance. They sat in their respective seats, and when they thought they were in the clear, the teacher called on them to present.
"You two have apparently spent a lot of quality time together. This project should be good." Mr. Meinershagen said, making a few students laugh. Even their elderly science teacher was aware of the incident. How lovely. Leo got up, and set up the PowerPoint while Calvin awkwardly stood beside him. The presentation went smoothly at first, but it all crumbled in the middle when someone figured out how to make a gay joke involving bacteria. Leo tried continuing, but couldn't focus, and Calvin just couldn't speak or move at all our or fear. They completely bombed. The rest of the school day went virtually the same. Gay jokes, snide remarks from peers, and the occasional phone number from some desperate dude. When they finally thought it was over, they had to face detention, and there was no way in hell that'd be fun.
   There were about a dozen other kids in detention, and frankly, they weren't very friendly looking. One girl was dressed in all black, wearing blood red contact lenses, and hummed something that sounded like the Russian Anthem. Another boy was wearing all ripped clothing, with some scary bruises on his face and exposed knees. Leo didn't seem worried, somehow. Calvin was fearing for his life. His mother surely wouldn't approve of him kissing another guy, especially one she had let sleep at her home last night. Calvin couldn't let this tear him and Leo apart. If couldn't. If anything, it would make them stronger. Sure, maybe he can't talk to him for a while, but it'll be worth it in the end. If he could just taste those gorgeous lips aga- no. Calvin wasn't gay. Actually, maybe he was. Now that he thought about it, he couldn't remember ever liking a girl the way he likes Zac Efron. Should he come out, then? Is he really gay? Leo would know. But he couldn't talk to Leo. His mom would be mad. But what if she wasn't? What if his mom was gay too? That was stupid. She married his father. This was too confusing. Calvin laid his head on his desk and tried to fall asleep. Eventually, it worked. Leo, on the other hand, had been asleep basically the whole time. His five hours of sleep last night didn't exactly affect him well. Finally, he woke up to Calvin shaking him.