Chapter 32 - Pizza and Heartbeat

"Is the pizza ready yet?" Spencer shouted from the living room.
"Wait a few minutes!" Lilith responded. She knew that it would be preferable not to order pizza, as she took into consideration his germophobia. She had therefore chosen to make it herself, as Spencer was less weary about things cooked by her. The doctor, however, was showing a bit more of his impatient side. After all, today had been a difficult case, and he hadn't even given himself the time to eat at all.

"Here it is, you big baby!" Lilith laughed as she brought over the fuming pizza.

"God, this looks so good..." he said, eyeing the food.

"Well I did have to practice, since I always have to cook for you. I would even say that I know your kitchen better than you do." She teased.

"Hey! I could make food for the both of us, but you'd probably go into a coma as soon as you'd bite into it."

"I guess reading books doesn't make you a good cook, huh?" Lilith grinned.

"You got that right." He said, biting into a slice of the pizza. "AH! Hot!" He screamed, immediately covering his mouth with his hand.

"What were you expecting?!" Lilith burst out laughing.

"I donf know! It bunfs!" The poor man cried out.

"Okay, I'll go get you a glass of cold water." She got up, and made her way to the kitchen. She couldn't help but giggle.

She came back, holding a green cup. As Lilith handed over the glass to the doctor, their fingers briefly touched, and their eyes crossed.

"Thanks, Lilith..." he said, softly.
"No problem."

The forensic pathologist sat down next to him. She suddenly didn't know what to talk about, completely self conscious.

"So, hum, how has work been lately?" Lilith asked.

Spencer furrowed his brow, as he took a sip of water.

"That's an oddly generic question coming from you. But yeah, work has been fine."

"That's great." She smiled awkwardly. Why are you like this? She thought.

"Are you okay? You seem a little on edge, Lilith..."

"I, hum, I don't-" She could only think about the way he said her name, so softly. "I don't know, Spencer... I think I'm a little flustered because of work and stuff." She replied. Yeah, that must be it: work. The young woman had been given more responsibilities at her job ever since one of her colleagues quit.

"Oh, okay. We can watch the film later, if you feel like talking about it."

"No, don't worry, I'm-" Lilith didn't finish her sentence, as her eye caught Spencer's. They looked at each other for a few seconds, before her phone started ringing. Lilith reached for her phone, and checked the caller ID before looking up to the agent.

"Sorry, I have to pick this up..."
"Oh, yeah, sure, go ahead."

Lilith got up from the couch and made her way to the bedroom before picking up the call.

"Ezra? Is everything okay?" The young woman asked, slightly worried. She could hear sobbing noises in the background.

"Hey, Lilith. Sort of- hum, could you come over right now?"