Chapter 44 - Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

A/N: Sorry for taking so long to update...I'm going through finals and it's been really stressful, but I will do my best to try and update

Spencer

The doctor glanced again at his phone screen. It had been three weeks, and Lilith still wasn't answering her phone. He'd already sent seven messages. At this point it just felt like he was harassing her. Spencer figured out what had angered her so much: he'd hurt Jeanine. He understood. If someone was to break Emily or JJ's heart, he wouldn't have seen the guy in a good light. But to think that she would have ceased all contact with him... after over a year of friendship... All he wanted was to talk to her, clear things up, explain that he couldn't be with Jeanine for... reasons. Reasons he couldn't really explain himself.

The plane took off.

He could feel his teammate's gazes on him. They were probably wondering why he'd been feeling down for the last few weeks. Maybe they'd figured out what had happened between him and Lilith. Garcia surely had, as she had grown a little colder to him, even if she wasn't trying to show it. If he knew this would happen, he never would have gone on the date with Jeanine. Jeanine was a nice person, but she was emotionally vulnerable and fell for him quickly despite their lack of chemistry. The only way Spencer could describe their relationship was as "uncomfortable". The problem wasn't with who she was, but rather who she wasn't...

"Spencer?"

The doctor looked up, and his eyes met Derek's frowning face. "Oh, Derek.  Yes, what's wrong?"

"I think I should be the one asking you that." he replied, taking a seat in front of the young man. His eyes locked with his, as if  waiting for him to speak.

"Not much, really."

Derek gave a loud sigh. "Spencer, we're all trained in psychology here, do you really think someone we know as well as you would be able to fool us?"

Unconsciously, the doctor felt his jaw clench. The man had cornered him.

"It's Lilith."

Spencer didn't have to say much more for his colleague to understand. The entire team had noticed something was wrong. His friend wasn't randomly smiling at his phone anymore. Rather, he had an anxious look.

"I knew it. What happened?"

"I.... I think I hurt Jeanine... Lilith hasn't been answering any of my messages or calls, and I'm kind of worried."

"Worried for her you mean?"

"No." He paused. "Worried for Lilith and I's friendship. I know she's doing okay, I've seen her walk out of her apartment a couple of times so it's not like she disappeared or anything. But it just feels like I'm invisible to her."

"Look, Spencer, it's not like you can go back in time. You ended a relationship that wasn't working out and you can't change the situation. So rather than constantly pressuring her to come around, just give her some time to do it herself. Right now you're pressuring her, and I know you're not that kind of guy."

"I- yeah, you're right." The young doctor seemed defeated. "I don't know if I'm worrying only for our friendship..."

Derek leaned in closer.

"Maybe there's something between us that I-"

"Guys, get your things ready, we're landing soon." Prentiss said, her hand giving a quick pat to Derek's shoulder.

"You'll have to finish what you were saying, pretty boy."