Chapter Four

The Centaurs were perhaps the most bloodthirsty of all the Landfolk. They were incredibly protective of their borders and lands. Some of their borders were shared with the Fae. The races did not get on.

The Fae were a vain race. They built the most beautiful woodland palaces which would balance over great waterfalls and be surrounded by mountains and forests. They would wear dresses and robes out of the very finest materials they made. There is no doubt that the Fae were the best architects and fabric makers in all the land. Their lands were also rich in precious jewels. They, however, did not like to get their hands dirty. Their armies would march into herds of Centaurs to kill the strong ones and take the younger ones. Forcing the young beasts to work in the mines. Once a Centaur reaches of age, they are creatures of great strength and power. Just what they Fae needed to mine and build their palaces.

The Centaurs were not innocent either though. They wanted to expand their territory. They would push into the Fae lands, slaughtering the small fae villages in their way. However, with the magic of Fae, the Centaurs were always pushed back to their lands or ambushed before they reached the villages. The Fae had an advantage.

There were three types of Fae. The Fae who watch the Past. The Fae who guide the Present. The Fae who see the Future. So often the Centaur's attacks were seen before they happened. The Fae eventually pushed them back out of their lands, killing thousands in a great battle. The surviving Centaurs fleed into the Westlands where they stayed hidden for many years.

-The History of the First War of Vivelle. Volume One. Chapter Fifteen, Verse Five.

The ball officially starts. Stringed instruments play happy melodies that swirl around the room. The first person to greet us is an older man. He is the Master Scholar. He is the man who not only leads all the teachings but knows all the laws and history of Vivelle. He will be officiating the Queen's Trial and making sure it agrees with the conditions that were agreed upon in the Mad Queen's surrender. Though he isn't the King, he holds a similar amount of power and the same amount of respect. Even the King cannot break the laws of the Queen's Trial.

His grey hair has been groomed neatly and his beard has been cut so it is even and smart. His face is wrinkled but his smile is always warm as are the soft shade of brown that are his eyes. He bows, his robes of black falling around him. Scholars must always wear plain black robes. Even at events like these.

"Your Majesties," he says as he stands again.

"Master Audwin," my father says with a respectful nod of his head. Even the King has to respect this man.

"The ball is off to a good start," the Master says. "I am looking forward to making my speeches later in the Night," he grins. My father smiles too and nods his head. "I never thought I would have to officiate another Trial. A Queen's trial is so rare, there is normally at least one boy born in each generation. So for there to be two Queen's Trials consecutively, well you can imagine it has caused quite the excitement," he says with his slightly raspy voice.

"It is an exciting time indeed," my father replies, though I can hear the slight annoyance in his voice.

"Perhaps it is fate trying to tell us something," the master sighs.

"What would that be?"

"Well, perhaps The Gift is trying to tell us that it wants a true Queen to rule Vivelle," he suggests and I feel a small smile tug at my lips. Especially when the Master's eyes dart to me.

"You're reading to much into it, old man," my father laughs as though he had heard a joke. Though I know there is hidden anger beneath it. "None of my daughters have The Gift anyway," he chuckles.