1) Prelude

Thanks for checking out this novella! Even though it's completed, there is still a lot of editing to be done.  Constructive feedback is greatly appreciated!

And on a side note, all dedications are to people who have kindly taken the time to read, vote, comment, and show support for this story.  I am so thankful for my readers.

SIX MONTHS AGO

On the salty, sea-smelling streets of Key Largo, just a few miles north of Sexton Cove, a tall youth walked aimlessly toward the end of a dock.  He swallowed another bite of fish before stuffing the rest in his back pocket, making sure it was carefully preserved in a clean plastic baggie.  The soles of his feet were charcoal-black and grimy as he stood on the edge of the dock.  The young man, his face covered in stubble and matted with dirt, studied the rippling ocean with frustration.  His irritation soon gave way to a guarded expression as he watched two bowriders and a small fishing boat glide across the water.  He needed to get away.

            The nearest restaurant, however, was miles down the Overseas Highway, and the youth was tired of walking.  He was weary of hitchhiking and staying out of sight of cops and living on his own.

            He glanced across the water at the Anchorage Resort and Yacht Club.  People milled about on the docks and talked excitedly as they strolled inside the building.  The youth yawned and headed back down the dock.  He whistled a tune and shoved his hands into his pockets, trying not to think about food or walking or the ocean.  There was only his tattered clothing, his bare feet, and the miles of empty road ahead of him.

Two men peered out of the safety of their fishing boat to watch the tall youth.  The edge of a plastic baggie sticking out of his back pocket was barely visible, as were the stained soles of his feet.

            "Is that him?" one of the men asked in a low voice.

            "Yeah, Sully, that's him," said the second, his words laced with a thick Spanish accent.  They set down their binoculars in unison when the youth disappeared down the dock, out of view.

            The man named Sully picked up his radio.  "We got him," was all he said before clicking off.  The Spaniard started the engine and gave his partner a thin smile.

            "It won't be long now, amigo."