27) A Threat

Both the sun and everyone’s spirits were high by the time they left camp.  Clyde was the only exception: he was in a sour mood that showed in everything he did.  He swore, he kicked, he made a show of waving his gun around.  Jack and Hayley, while staying out of each other’s way, also tried to stay out of Clyde’s.  Though the men still treated Jack with contempt, they were a little nicer to Hayley after her near-death experience.

            This wasn’t the first time Jack felt a fool.  He knew Hayley had showed him up by scaling the cliff.  He was deathly afraid of heights, and now everybody knew it.  He also didn’t have a plan.  As long as he was on this island, there was no chance of escaping.  On the bright side, as long as Clyde didn’t find the treasure, there was no chance of dying.

            Jack wished there was some way he could come up with a red herring to throw Clyde off track.  But there were two problems with that: he didn’t know any French and Hayley wasn’t speaking to him.  He wrestled with his thoughts.  Should I tell her…?

            Jack had never told anyone his past.  The only people who knew were his parents, and possibly one or both of them was dead.  He frowned and poked the dirt with a stick.  His bloodline was something he was ashamed of.  He couldn’t imagine explaining his history to anyone, even Hayley.  If he told her, she wouldn’t want anything to do with him.

            He was so lost in his thoughts that he didn’t hear the footsteps coming up behind him.  Suddenly, a large hand grabbed the collar of his shirt and yanked him to his feet.  “So, Nau, what’s the plan?” Clyde spat.

            Jack squirmed and fought to go free.  Clyde let him go, but not before giving him a swift kick to the back.  Jack sprawled onto the dirt.

            “‘Golden water,’ eh? Where’d you come up with that one?” Clyde said.

            “Sorry, that’s all the clue said.”  Jack wiped his mouth and stood up, trying to ignore the white-hot pain spreading across his back.

            “You’re making this all up, aren’t you?”

            “I don’t speak French.”

            “But your girlfriend does.”

            Jack ignored the girlfriend comment.  “Why would we lie about something like this?” he argued.  “How in the world would we make this up? Hayley just happened to be aboard the same ship as you and ran into me on the other island.  Why on earth would we come up with such an elaborate plan when we’re practically strangers?”

            Clyde smiled evilly.  “Because you’re not strangers.”

            Jack was frustrated.  “Just because we went to school together a long time ago doesn’t mean we ever talked or made contact.  We’re strangers.”

            “You’re trying to lead me away from the treasure.  I know it.  You’re coming up with generic words and poorly-constructed clues in hopes that I won’t find the loot.”  Clyde began pacing.  “Well, you’re wrong.”

            Jack rolled his eyes.  The thought was so ridiculous he wouldn’t reward the man with a reply.

            “You need to know something about me, Jack.  I’m not the kind of person you mess with.  You’ve been cocky and sassed back to me this whole time.  I can easily maroon you on another island—one with no freshwater and no means of survival.”

            And accomplish what? Killing off your link to finding the treasure?

            “Or how about this? What if I tortured Cat Eyes over there?”

            That got Jack’s attention.  His eyes snapped up and focused on Hayley, who sat in the shade holding a water bottle to her forehead.  She had already gone through so much.  Jack’s stomach did a little flip.  “You promised,” he warned.  “You can’t touch her.”

            “We have to be nearing the end of this treasure hunt,” Clyde said.  “As soon as we get the last clue, I don’t need you anymore.  But why would I kill you when I can have the satisfaction of torturing your girlfriend first?”

            Jack felt like throwing up.  Clyde didn’t need to know that the clue they just discovered—l’eau d’or—was, in fact, the final clue.  Jack felt it in every cell of his being.  The brilliance of the symbol in his mind’s eye made him positive they were closing in on the treasure.

            “The one thing that can break a man,” Clyde continued, “is his weakness.”  He grinned, showing off a chipped tooth that Jack hadn’t noticed before.  “And it just so happens I know what your weakness is.”

            Jack swallowed.  Don’t look.  Don’t look.  He squeezed his eyes shut, hoping they wouldn’t betray him by wandering over to Hayley.

            Clyde laughed maliciously.  “I can break you, Nau.  I can shut you down bit by bit until you’re within an inch of your life.  I can destroy you from the inside out, starting with her.”  He turned and whistled to the Spaniard, who was watching them intently.  “Bring Cat Eyes over here,” he ordered.

            Jack’s heart pounded in his chest when the Spaniard marched over to Hayley, grabbed her forearm, and hustled her to Clyde.

            “Perfect,” he purred.  Jack was sickened.  “You know I’m capable of doing what I say,” Clyde continued.  “I’ve hit you, beat you, threatened you, and abused you.  I’m in charge.  I’m the one with the power.  You treat this like some sort of game, but I know you know better.”  He bent over so he was eye level with Jack.  Lowering his voice, he said, “And believe me when I say this: once I get my hands on that treasure, you’re going to wish you had never played these mind games with me.  You’re going to wish you had already died.  You’re going to wish Hayley had already died.”

            Jack narrowed his eyes.  He imagined he could see into the man’s soul.  Past those dark, greedy pupils lay a vast emptiness, one that could never be filled.  The hunger for power and wealth was insatiable.  Jack was staring into the eyes of a madman.

            Clyde grinned and backed away.  “I hope I made myself clear.”

            “Crystal,” Jack muttered, trying to appear unfazed while his heart hammered inside his chest.  He willed himself not to peek at Hayley.  Stay strong, he urged.  Stay strong.

            Clyde turned around and grabbed Hayley by her hair, eliciting a loud cry.  “Boys,” he shouted, “gather around! It’s time to start looking for the Golden Water!”