Chapter 25

Something was cooking. It smelled crisp yet juicy, and he felt his stomach roar. The tantalizing scent brushed his nose, curling around his mind and sinking its claws in his hunger. He longed for a bite of whatever hung over the warm fire, whose flames licked at his back, enveloping him in a motherly embrace he had never felt. He stirred in the semi-awake state of mind and body he was in and his delicate ears picked up a slight rustle of clothes against rock as someone moved closer to him. He twitched a silver eye open immediately jumped back, snarling.

Crouched next to where he was previously lying was a woman, who looked no older than twenty. She had long silver hair and golden eyes, and his mind drifted to the pair of irises the same hue that he missed so much. The woman was dressed in a pair of jeans and several layers of thick sweaters under a coat. Her feet were clad in snow boots, and for a fleeting second he wished he could have eaten the rabbit who's fur adorned the rim of her shoes.

Morrigan watched silently as his distrusting eyes assessed her, like a predator looking his prey over. His gaze wasn't full of lust, no. However, the need to defend himself and the distrust she inspired him hurt her more than she could admit. His wild had been that of a dear friend.

"Don't worry pup, it's not like we're gonna kill you. We kinda need you," Lycaon interrupted both Wolves' trains of thoughts as he slid the two hares from their sticks over the fire.

Fenris whipped his hand towards the man he hadn't noticed. He was a beast of a Wolf, and Fenris estimated that he easily reached over six foot five when standing, towering over his own six foot two. He stood his ground and growled.

Who are you?

"I'm Morrigan. The brat there is Lycaon," Morrigan spoke, pointing first at herself then at Lycaon.

What are you doing here? Aren't Lycaon and Morrigan supposed to have died two thousand years ago?

"It sure felt like it! Having your Pack ripped from you, as well as your mate is quite the loss," Lycaon grumbled.

He grabbed a mean-looking knife and started to divide the hares in three equal portions.

"Wolves think we are dead. The thing is, Amarok just sent us away to the Human Dimension, and locked us there. Only her return would mark the moment when we would be free to come back again," Morrigan explained, shooting Lycaon a warning look. "Shift, Fenrir—"

I'm not Fenrir. I'm Fenris. Magic named me that.

"You are Fenrir's wild's holder. You will always be Fenrir to us," Lycaon deadpanned.

He pushed a portion of the food at Fenris' feet and bit into another one.

Well I might not answer then, and Fenris shrugged his wolfy shoulders as he bit in the food.

"Hey! What about me?" Morrigan asked as she realized Lycaon hadn't given her anything.

He put his hand to his ear and cocked his head.

"Am I hearing voices? Fenris, do you hear that?"

•••

     Teras stiffened then, and instantly Etna was more alert, ready to fight back. He forced his muscles to loosen and opened his mouth.

"We could only come back when Amarok's wild did, because it was her magic that bound us to the Human Dimension. I don't really know how it worked, okay? I just know that I woke up one morning with this weird feeling of warmth and joy in me, and I knew it was Amarok's wild calling to me, though not on purpose, and then poof I could get through a Portal again. End of story," he sighed, and his hand drifted to his hair, combing the shaggy brown locks backwards.

He was in dire need of a haircut.

However, it seemed as though Etna was not finished with her interrogation, as her plump lips parted once more.

"And are you looking for Amarok? Is that why you're here? Or are you gonna start wreaking havoc just because you can?"

It was widely known that Teras had always been the slyest of the Great Warriors, and it stung, because the Beast knew exactly where his loyalties lay.

"I'm looking for Amarok's wild's reincarnation," he said, and brushed the hidden insult away like an annoying fly, though it was far from it.

"Great then. I'll be coming with," Etna simply declared.

•••

The twins made no gesture that could have given away that they were nervous, because they really weren't. They were confident in their abilities.

However, the bartender's reaction was completely different. She recoiled like she'd been burned by the close proximity and distanced herself from them, pretending they'd ever been there.

Freki nonchalantly turned around on his stool and rested his back against the crusty counter. He smirked flippantly at the two Wolves that stood in the doorway of the inn. He sniffed the air lightly, and the distinct smell of dry grass and salty air reached his nose. Wild Horse Pack.

"Ah. And so we meet again. You didn't truly think we'd stay long in your dungeons do you?"

"It was terribly humid down there," Geri spoke up, and then he too turned around. "You know how horrible that is for hair like mine. It becomes all frizzy and whatnot."

"You are under arrest under the order of the Wild Horse Pack Alpha, Alpha Shark," one of the guards spoke up.

     Perhaps, if Freki had outgrown his toddler's mindset in the two thousand and seventeen years he'd been alive, then maybe the twins wouldn't have had to dash out of the inn like hell was on their heels.

     However, as it was, the centenary male found it very smart to start humming a certain song he'd heard a child sing the night before.

"Baby shark doo doo doo doo doo doo, baby shark doo doo doo doo doo doo, baby shark doo doo doo doo doo doo, baby shark!" he sang in a falsetto.

     And so now they were running full speed in the vast plain, direction the North.

A/N) CHAPPIE 25!!! OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!! THIS IS MY TWENTY FIFTH CHAPTER!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS??
Anywayss... *awkward whistling*
Do any of you have repeated dreams where you're your crush's boyfriend/girlfriend? Last night I dreamed I was necking Yonatan, and for several weeks I've been dreaming at least once a week that I'm his girlfriend.
This is weird.
But at least I'm dating him SOMEWHERE!!😆😆
- Lexie

What's your favorite book/series?

Throne of Glass or A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas, I cannot choose. Sue me.