1960's - 4

Kathryn and Theo were hanging out in the backyard of her house

Kathryn and Theo were hanging out in the backyard of her house. They sat under the huge oak tree so that its leaves can shade them and protect them from the sun. Theo's head was on Kathryn's lap as he read To Kill A Mockingbird.

He remembered when the book first came out. It was a huge success but also very heavily criticized. He wanted to read it earlier, but his father told him not to bother with books like those. And their school and even local library banned the books from their shelves. It took Theo a long time, plus saving a bit of money to obtain this book. He snuggled against Kathryn's legs and she ran her hands through his hair softly.

Kathryn was reading something a little stronger than to Kill a Mockingbird. Maya Angelou's "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings". She was gonna recommend it to Theo next. It talks about her struggles as a black woman through racism and the abuse and she still came out victorious despite everything that's happened to her. She hope to be as brave as her one day.

"I've got sunshine," Theo hums, "on a cloudy day." Making her giggle. "When it's cold outside, I've got the month of May," He now puts the book down. "I guess you'd say...."
"What can make me feel this way?"" He sits up and faces her now. "My girl," he sings, leaning in to press a kiss on her nose, making her blush harder. "My girl, my girl...." he sings the background singers, making her laugh at his goofiness. "Talkin' 'bout my girl...." he now leans in closer, and she leans in a little too.

"Kathryn!" Her mother, Esther Knight, calls out to her from the backyard screen door that led to the kitchen.

Kathryn chuckled slightly as Theo sighs and hangs his head down in defeat before sitting next to Kathryn and facing her mother. "Hi Mrs. Knight!" He waves from her side, smiling brightly.

"Hello my darling," her mother smiles back at him. "I️ was just about to tell Kathy to invite you to stay over for dinner. Would you like to?" She asked him.

"Aww Mrs. Knight. You know I️ love nothing more than your cooking," He flatters her. He then leans into Kathryn's ear and whispers. "Well, I️ might actually love you more than your mama's cooking," he tells her quietly before turning his attention back to the older version of Kathryn. "I'd love to!"

"Alright. I️'ll tell Karen to set an extra place for ya," she said, returning inside to finish cooking. Karen was Kathryn's older sister who was visiting from college for a bit. Both kids got up from there places on the ground and rushed into the house to wash up before dinner time.

Karen was putting down plates as the two came to the kitchen / dining room. "Hey Theo! Long time, no see," she smiled at him. "How's everything?" She asked as their mom came into the dining room to put down a bowl of salad.