Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Just as Annalisa escaped Slade's room, she bumped into Ella who was staring at Annalisa puzzled. "What were you doing in my brother's room?" Her tone was full of curiosity as she waited patiently for Annalisa's answer.

Annalisa could understand her confusion. She made it her goal to avoid him when he would come to visit. Ella knew of her dislike for her brother, even when they were in highschool together.

"Oh that...I was just asking him where the blankets were." Annalisa lied with a fake smile painted on her delicate features. She began to fiddle with the golden locket out of nervousness.

Ella believed her lie because she nodded. "I'm sorry I forgot that I washed them yesterday so they aren't in the hall closet."

"It's okay, I'm fine now. I'm going to be in the living room if you need me." Annalisa replied as she rubbed the back of her neck.

Once she got another nod from Ella she scurried away to the living room, guilt swimming inside of her due to the lie she just told. Not only that, she was also keeping something else from her. She knew her friend didn't deserve to be lied to, but Annalisa didn't want to drag Ella into her mess. The less people knew the better.

__________________

After 2 days at Ella's apartment Annalisa decided it was time to return home. She didn't want to overstay her welcome and take advantage of her friend's kindness. Not only that but every time she looked into Ella's face guilt would creep inside of her. She reassured herself that it was only because she was trying to protect her. It still didn't make the guilt go away.

She even caught a few glimpses of Slade. He seemed the same as always. When they were alone he would ask her questions pertaining to the creatures. It was strange to see Slade even slightly concerned about her well being. Even though, she knew it wasn't because he cared about her. Moreover, it was because he didn't want to see his sister hurt. Or maybe because after he saw his enemy, quivering with fear and covered in blood and maggots it made him have a little pity for her.

She thought it was weird that she didn't see the creature though. Not that she wanted to, but maybe it was because she made sure to surround herself with Ella every second that she could. And at work she hung out with a few of her coworkers at the office.

Even though, she didn't see the creature while she was awake. That didn't mean she didn't see it in her dreams. Annalisa didn't think she could ever forget it's face, even in her dreams it was as terrifying as it was in reality.

Annalisa didn't dread going home as much as she thought she would, because she finally convinced her father to visit her. Annalisa was really trying not to be alone for too long, she didn't want that creature to lurk around her. Or even show it's gruesome, disgusting face again. Annalisa was scared that the creature would get bored of just staring at her, that it might want to start harming her instead.

With asking her father to visit her, she also thought it would be a good idea to give her only living parent some quality time. Her mother died when Annalisa was only a mere child. She didn't remember anything about the woman who gave birth to her. Her father has always been there for her, although at times he could be a bit strange. When she was growing up he would say the strangest things, telling Annalisa to enjoy life because she didn't know when it could be taken away at any moment or to not play with something she didn't understand because there that it was evil, demented things out there. Sometimes he'd even talk about someone finding her. Annalisa never really understand what he was talking about. His warnings was definitely different from what other fathers would tell their teenage daughters. But it didn't make Annalisa love him any less.