Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Annalisa jerked awake in a panic, her breaths came out in short pants, her chest to heaved up and down rapidly.

She had a vivid memory of the excruciating pain she endured. She could not believed she had been actually burned alive. Her skin literally dripped off her bones like water. Everything was scorching hot. It was completely unbearable...intolerable. Her vision was so hazy, but what she felt were crystal clear.

She did not waste a single moment before she moved herself into a sitting position and scanned over her body. Her eyes traveled to every exposed part of her skin.

She felt so hot all over as if she was still in the fire, but her body did not showcase any of the damage she witnessed and experienced. Her skin looked exact same way it had always looked except it had a reddish tint to it.

Annalisa furrowed her eyebrows in confusion at the color. That's when it dawned on her that it wasn't her skin giving off the reddish hue, but it was her surroundings that gave her red tint. Annalisa was afraid of what she might see because she knew that she wasn't in safe place.

She took a deep breath and slowly raised her head up until her head was angled towards her environment. The sky was a dark bloody red color with a few clouds flowing around aimlessly. The ground including where Annalisa was seated was completely pitch black. The soil, the plants, the trees, even the few mountains in the far distance were black. There was slight red misty smoke that settled in the air that made it harder for Annalisa to see anything else. The only source of light was the full moon centered in the middle of the sky.

After she took in her surroundings, her ears picked up on a distant noise

After she took in her surroundings, her ears picked up on a distant noise. What is that? It sounds like...laughter..? She strained her ears and she could hear low murmurs of..crazy maniac laughter. A shiver slid down her spine. Oh my god...whoever or whatever that is...sounds like a lunatic. What is going on?

She places a hand to her forehead to calm her nerves and block out the crazed laughter. Annalisa was absolutely terrified. She had no clue where she was. Something about this place was very strange and eerie. She felt so uneasy and have no idea on what to do next.

Suddenly, a high pitched shriek echoed all around Annalisa and she swiftly whipped her head up. The shriek sounded as if it was right next to her ear. She glanced around urgently, but she didn't see a single thing in sight. Just as Annalisa was about to breath out a sigh of relief she heard the shriek again. Except this time it wasn't as loud as before.

As Annalisa listened closely, she realized that it wasn't just one shriek she was hearing..it was multiple screams all at once.

She scrunched her face as a slight tingling feeling danced around in her ears. She slowly brought her hands up to her the side of her head and was shocked to feel a liquid.