31. ** Fighting Time **

The second after I passed out, Levi began to work fast. Even though he was overly exhausted and hurt too, he knew my time was running out. Even in my unconscious state, I could still smell my burning flesh as Levi rushed to cauterize my wounds. It seemed with every laceration he closed, he would find another still spilling with blood. It was hard to tell at that point, without being able to wash the gore from my back, or even to see anything by the dim flickering flames.

He quickly tore the fabric from both of the dead MP's clothes to use as bandages, although his options were limited when it came to anything not already stained with blood. He even resorted to using the belt that had caused all the destruction as a tourniquet.

With a sigh of exasperation, he wiped the sweat from his brow and threw the tongs back into the fire. He had done all he could do, but knew he had to carry my limp body out of there next. And our exact location was still a mystery.

Levi carefully lifted me from the ground, still shrouded by my cape. Viktor had apparently brought my cape there when torturing Levi, trying to prove some point to him, about my whereabouts or condition. But now, it was rightfully returned by the hands of the man who cared so deeply for me.

Cautiously opening the door, Levi shuffled out sideways, minding my head. He entered an empty hall that led directly outside. All this time, we had still been in Stohess, hidden blocks away from HQ. Across from the exit was a small carriage house. Taking a gamble, Levi burst through the door to find a handful of horses resting within their stalls, but no carriages, or even wagons for that matter.

"Tch. Of course," he grumbled.

With no other choice, Levi quickly pulled a horse from her stall, lifted my still unconscious body over the side, and mounted the saddle behind me. With one arm tightly wrapped around my chest, he gripped my body close to his, before commanding his horse to charge forth at full speed.

Night was falling and the streets were deserted. Levi's eyes darted between houses, then back down at me, as he searched desperately for the barracks. Clenching his jaw, he winced as his body reminded him of his own condition. But he fought to ignore the pain, focusing everything he had on keeping me alive.

Suddenly, a familiar face caught his eye, and he pulled tightly against the reins.

"Jean!" Levi shouted, as he turned his horse back around.

"Captain!? We've been looking everywhere for-- holy shit, what happened?"

"Where are the barracks!?"

Jean's eyes widened as he pointed off behind himself and stammered, "J-just right back--"

He couldn't even finish his sentence before Levi took off. Concerned about both Levi and I's visibly terrible conditions, Jean followed close behind.

Levi barreled through the entry, shouting for aid as he charged forth. A few startled soldiers quickly turned and followed, not even sure what was going on. When Levi finally reached the main entrance, Hange and Moblit burst through the doors urgently.

"Levi! Where have you been!?! You look terrible!" Hange shouted, before gasping at the sight of my bloodied body dangling within Levi's grip. "What happened to you two!?"

"No time to explain. Just get her inside! NOW!" Levi ordered loudly.

He carefully lowered me from the horse's back and into Moblit's arms. Turning to rush my quickly fading body inside, Moblit called for medics and doctors as he ran.
Levi dismounted his horse immediately after, but hid a wince when his feet hit the ground, grunting from the pain. Hange wrapped an arm around Levi, knowing fully well he wouldn't ask for help. She glanced down at him as she guided him inside, quite concerned by his condition, but even more so by the look in his eye.

"Levi...it was Viktor, wasn't it...?"

He just stared ahead angrily, then winced again, falling to one side. Hange groaned, knowing he would hate her for this, as she lifted him into her arms.

"--the fuck, Hange?! Put me down!"

"No. You're in bad shape. Stop pretending you're not. You need medical attention too!"

He grumbled and argued a bit more, before giving in, but not before saying, "Tch. Fine. Just take care of (F/N) first. No one touches me until she's stable."

Hange knew better than to try and reason with him. So she carried him down the hall, peering into each room as she looked for Moblit. When she eventually found where I had been placed, she carefully set Levi down on a chair just outside the door. They watched a few medics rush in and out, as the doctor hovered over me, racing against time. Moblit appeared shortly thereafter with a damp cloth in hand. Levi took it gratefully and began wiping his face and hands of the blood and dirt that coated his skin.

My surgery lasted long into the night, and it would be hours before Levi would finally agree to have his own injuries addressed.  His one condition was that he remain in my room while being treated. He had promised me that he would be there when I woke up, so he refused to go anywhere else.

My comatose body found it difficult to recover from all if the physical trauma I had endured. Even though I was still in critical condition, the doctor was eventually able to convince Levi to get some rest after a bath, several stitches, and hot tea.

The next day, after sleeping more than his usual three hours, Levi spent most of his time reading over reports, giving out orders, sipping hot tea and, although it was highly advised against, a bit of cleaning. But never once did he leave my room.

That evening, Hange entered to find Levi with his cheek against his forearms, resting on the side of my bed.  She gently placed her hand on his shoulder, quietly waking him. 

"Levi, we need to talk."

He slowly stood from his chair, holding his gaze on me before turning to face Hange.

"What is it...?"

"We just received word that there are Titans inside Wall Rose.  Everyone is preparing to leave for the Ehrmich District to help in the evacuation and to find the breach in the wall; Erwin's orders. I know you don't want to leave (F/N)'s side, but--"

"I'm going with you. She can ride in the wagon with me."

Hange paused for a moment, before softly smiling.

"Do you really think that's what's best for her? ...Look, Levi, I know you promised her that if she wakes up--"

"If?" Levi sneered, quick to interrupt Hange.

"...eh, I mean..."

"Hange. She will wake up. And when she does, I'll be there."

"Levi, you can't wait forever. Eren is going to Ehrmich with us, so you--"

"She's going to wake up."

The room remained awkwardly silent for quite some time. Levi sat back down next to my bed, watching my chest slowly rise and fall with every labored breath. He gently took my hand into his, and held it against his lips. After reluctantly returning it to my side, he lowered his head, and clenched his jaw.

"How long before we leave...?"

Hange stared at Levi with sadness.

"We leave at sundown."

After a long pause, Levi inhaled deeply, followed by a heavy, defeated sigh.

"Don't leave without me."