Ch 37: Evangeline

Asmos POV:

The Hawthorn pack was a relatively large pack,
housing hundreds of wolves.

Still, patrolling wolves were smart enough to contact their alpha before even approaching me.

Attacking would lead to their death and letting me by may also lead to their death.

I do not present pleasant odds.

I took a deep breath when we reached the packs main grounds.

People stopped and stared in I'll disguised horror or worry.

You could feel the anxiety roll my escorts from the border.

None of that mattered though as I searched for Evie's scent, catching it faintly here of there.

At a small cafe clinging to a chair on the patio. A place she must frequent to cause her scent to linger even in the slightest.

A trail leading off into the woods.

A small swing bench on the porch of the main pack house.

She must come from some sort of important family to be near the main house that often.

My gaze lingered on a tattered magazine and an empty ashtray sitting on the table, wondering a bit if she had taken up cigarettes as we talked about and if she sat upon this bench flipping the pages and puffing away.

The thought made the girl, previously a strange enigma, seem more real.

I was brought from my wondering when my inner wolf sensed another Alpha near by. Looking away from the bench just in time to see the door swing open, Alpha Hanson Hawthorn looking up at me in rather well masked surprise, "Lelantos."

"Hawthorn." I bit out, deciding not to tell the man his pack held my mate. He was known to be difficult and put his pack majority above any single soul. A trait he hides well.

But I have been around long enough to know, he would not hesitate to use Evie against me if it thought saving his pack or gaining something for them.

"I have some business in the area and decided to drop in."

He eyed me suspiciously, but decorum between Alphas was essential to prevent wars.

He wasn't the type to start a war that he wasn't sure he could win, "of course..you are welcome to rest here if you would like. I would have my son give you a tour of the pack grounds seeing as I am in the middle of a few rather important dealings with a neighboring pack...but Everett is out of town for the time being."

I nearly scoffed. The man was basically telling me to fuck myself in the most polite way he could. My gaze narrowed on him, "I see.."

"But.." he quickly started, catching on, "my daughter knows the pack grounds just as well. Shes young but knows every shop, lake, and diner in the pack as well as a ten mile radius. Shes with her friend now but she would be happy to show you around."

I didn't really want some teenage girl showing me around a pack I cared nothing for but if she was around Evies age she may know something about her.