1 | 5

K A N E

      Delphinium and Gigi were out in the hallway as we exited Hunt's office. I met Delphinium's angry stare and I knew that she was still fuming after the counsel-woman had spoken so condescendingly to her. Gigi seemed calmer, as was her nature, but I still saw some of Delphinium's same rage in her dark eyes.

I hadn't immediately trusted that Imperium was back; I felt as if we needed to keep our options open. But now, after the President had confessed, my beliefs were changed in Delphinium's favor. I hadn't meant to go against her, but that's what had happened anyway.

I needed to make things right with her again.

As the eight of us strode down the hall away from Hunt's office, I caught up with the white-haired girl, who was in front of the group with Gigi at her side.

"Delphinium," I said, getting their attention, "Gigi."

"Yes?" the former asked, her light eyes narrowing slightly, wondering what I wanted.

I took a deep breath; admitting I was wrong wasn't easy for me. "I just wanted to let you know that I do believe that Imperium is back. I should have trusted you before, it's just... After the things President Huard said, I knew that it had to be true."

My eyes switched back to Delphinium. "I'm sorry that I doubted. I know this can't be easy for you, especially."

"Thank you, Kane," Gigi said, her dark eyes shining with sympathy. "I'm glad you finally came around."

The assassin was quiet for a few moments before saying, "It appears that we have even less allies than we thought. Thank you for being on my side."

I gave them both a curt nod, not having anything more to say. They both turned and walked forward at a normal pace again.

Riley caught up with me. "Who knew Kane Shires was such an honorable man?" Her elbow poked into my side playfully.

I shrugged. "It was the right thing to do."

She looked away from me then. "You know, you're not really how you seem."

My face pulled into a frown. "What is that supposed to mean?"

With her red lips parting, she gave me a wide grin. "You can just come across as pessimistic, surly and a bit grouchy sometimes."

"I'm not grouchy," I said with a bit too much force.

"My point proven," she answered back, pointing her finger at my face.

"It sounds like you took that opportunity just to insult me."

She pretended to think, putting her finger to her mouth and looking up somewhere at the ceiling. "Maybe." Her smile turned softer. "But I also said that it's not an accurate representation of who you are inside."

"Who do you think I am?" I questioned. Immediately after, I wondered why I'd even asked. It had just slipped out.

"I think that under all those brooding looks and pessimistic tendencies, there's a good man. One that not a lot of people see very easily."

My frown deepened as her just being...her, overwhelmed me all of a sudden. "And you think you see him easily?"

"Oh, I see right through you, Shires."

I didn't see right through her, and that's what scared me. Every time I thought I understood her, she showed me a different part of herself that made me question everything I thought I knew about her.