Seeing Red

She could feel his fury long before she could see him

She could feel his fury long before she could see him. It sang through the pack bonds like the scream of an electric guitar. Truth be told, she was almost afraid to face him. Almost. Had she been anything less than an Alpha in her own right she might have been cowering and hiding, or in her wolf form, belly up and whining. As it was she waited for him to find her, refusing to go to him as she knew he would prefer. He found her standing before a large bonfire, the other women of the pack some feet back from her. They all knew there was a reckoning coming. 

He stood for a long moment, somehow no less attractive despite his anger. His eyes swept her up and down and then his jaw set, the muscle there twitching. He stalked forward like a lion after a gazelle, powerful, calculating, with deadly intent. He stopped when his face was only inches from her own. 

"You. Will. Come." Each word was saturated with the power of the Alpha. She couldn't have resisted his command no matter how hard she tried to. Her body jerked forward without her permission and she fumed that he'd forced her to follow him this way. She would have followed willingly, this was just humiliating. But Lily refused to say anything. She wouldn't give him the satisfaction of complaining. 

They finally came to his cabin. No sooner had she shut the door behind her than he was slamming her into it. The impact knocked the breath out of her but didn't do any other damage. He was shaking with the restraint he was showing, trying desperately not to do as his nature demanded and force her to submit to his will through blood and violence. 

"What the fuck were you thinking?!" He roared, his voice so loud it shook the walls of the small cabin. "You went out of the safe zone and into the main territory alone when we know for a fact there are hunters out there! How many times do you need to get shot to learn that it is unsafe? What possible reason could you have had? What was so fucking urgent?!" 

"I wanted to see Amara. I needed to speak to her." 

"What the fuck for? Your little tantrum earlier?" Okay, now it was Lily's turn to yell. She shoved him and when he didn't so much as budge she kicked him between his legs. He grunted and stumbled backward. 

"Little tantrum? Little fucking tantrum?! "  Her voice was just as loud as his voice had been. "I ran out of here heartbroken you bastard! You can only reject a person so many times before it hurts." With that, she deflated, all the fight going out of her as sorrow took her over to be quickly replaced with a gentler seething, boiling, bitterness. "What's worse, is you didn't have to lead me on like that. You could have simply said you didn't want me anymore. But at least it's all out in the open now. You can find someone you actually want by your side and I can find someone who actually wants me, and won't claim to and then reject me over and over and over again. 

"Lily..." He murmured. 

"No, fuck you, Damien. I shouldn't have to beg for your attention and if I do, then fuck your attention. I don't need you." She whirled around and stalked off. She made it to the middle of the small clearing around his cabin before he caught up with her. 

"Lily, that is enough, you have no..." His words were cut short by the sound of a gunshot rending the quiet air around them. As if in slow motion horror, she watched Damien jerk as the bullet hit home right in the upper left of his chest, and a second one hit him in the forehead. 

There was a screaming sound and it took her a long moment to realize it was her screaming. Then she saw red, immediately shifting into her wolf form and howling her rage and sorrow. The demand of a Luna to her pack for vengeance. Hundreds of answering howls met hers and she turned and sprinted full out for the hunter who had killed the male she loved. 

The hunter had not been expecting her to shift and come after him. She could smell his fear, it was foul and pungent in her nose but it made him easy to hunt. He was outrunning her on some sort of mountain bike. But he wasn't a wolf and didn't have her senses. His bike hit a root and he went flying over the handlebars, landing all akimbo sever feet from the bike. By this time the pack was just catching up to her. She wasted no time at all in darting forward and ripping into his calf, making sure he saw her eat the meat, trying to triple his fear even as the pain made him cry out. 

She shifted into her human form and knelt next to him. 

"How many more of you are there?" 

"I'm not telling you anything!" He shouted, thinking he was being brave. But even in human form, she could smell his fear. 

"If you don't start talking, My friends here will eat tiny little pieces of you right before your very eyes. If you tell us what we want to know, your death will be quick. Your choice." She used the sweetest, most soothing tone she could, pretending to pity him. He latched onto it and nodded furiously 

"Fine. Fine. There are three others. I'm the only one to go this far into the forest, but they will come soon. They are staying in Abel's cabin. 

Her cabin. They were staying in her cabin!  Oh, that would need to be remedied immediately. 

"Pack! Tear him to shreds. Slow." 

"No! You swore it would be fast you..." He was unable to speak anymore as screams overtook him. As she walked away from him she smirked and shrugged. 

"I lied."