V. The Girl With The Tarnished Reputation

Leaping downward through thin air, I immersed myself in the element that felt to me like heaven. Gliding through its luxurious depths, shallow breaths flowed into my lungs giving my arms and legs the strength to stroke and kick, as I watched the mystical light playing amid the undulating currents in silvery whites, and different shades of blue.

Even being fully submerged underwater, I still managed to imagine the deafen roar of the crowd chanting my name. All I could think about was winning my upcoming match. I could see victory. I could practically feel it at my fingertips.

Pulling my head out of the water, I took a quick intake of air but before I got the chance to go back under, I spotted Kate standing at the edge of the pool. "Tori," Her voice was as cool as the expression she wore, eyes holding an astonishing amount of discernment. She spoke to me as if we were strangers, as if I hadn't just spent the first six months of freshman year drying her tears and reapplying her mascara every time a college guy decided to have his way her and then forget she ever existed all in the same breath.

But, I knew that look. I knew what it meant whenever she gave someone that look, but I never had the bitter pleasure of being on the receiving end. And as upset as I should of been at her, I still felt obligated to apologize.

Then she was extending her hand out to me, my hesitation not coming as a surprise. Helping me out the water, I reminded cautious. "Why are you here so late? Wasn't practice over an hour ago?''

I nodded my head. ''Yeah, but I just decided to stay and swim some more laps. Practice makes perfect, right?'' Silence settled in the air around us, and all I could feel was the waves of tension radiating off of my body like smoldering flames. "If you want me to apologize, you know I will. If saying sorry patches up your broken ego, then I will apologize. But, I will not kneel down and kiss your fucking feet, that's what not going to happen."

"Careful now, Tori."

"I'm sorry! That's what you wanted to hear right? I'm sorry for not having a submissive bone in my body. I'm sorry for tarnishing your perfect little reputation, but if being popular requires spreading my legs to anyone that's going to treat me less than what I deserve.....then I don't want to be popular anymore."

"Just let me know now, Victoria." She took a step closer, and atomically, I took a step back. "Are we going to have a problem?" Kate questioned, daring me to challenge her farther, because we both knew what would happen if I did.

"I'm grateful for everything you've done for me this year. You're the only friend I've ever had-"

"That's not what I asked you." Suddenly, the girl standing in front of me wasn't the same person I spent Friday nights with watching reruns of Charmed, and eating cool pizza. The girl in front of me wasn't the same person who taught me how to do my makeup or curl my hair. Katherine was gone, and Kate replaced her. "Are we going to have a problem?" She paused for a moment and her words shooting through me like a bullet would.

It hurt.

"N-no."

Turning on her heel, she stalked over to the bench, and threw me over a towel. I barely caught it. "There's an opening tonight. It's this new club and I already got us fake IDs. I've been planning this for a while, I wanted to surprise you. Sawyer will be there, wear something pretty."

I thought for a moment, and with irritation, I bit my lip hard. Of course I loved Kate. I mean she was my best friend. Sure she was bitch sometimes, but she was always there for me when I needed her. So of course, I did what any normal person would've done.

"Fine, I'll go to your house after school and we can go from there."

Stupid.

✖ ✖ ✖

Suddenly, I jolted awake, clutching the bed sheets in panic. A shuddering gasp drew from between my parted lips, as my throat constricted painfully. Peering around the unfamiliar room, I almost expected myself to hyperventilate.

"Ten hours," Marcus emerged into the room, causing me to immediately push myself against the headboard. He leaned against the doorframe, eyes gently caressing over my exposed skin. "That's how long you've been asleep."

''Where am I? Who's r-room is this?'' I scrambled out of bed, legs trembling beneath me.

"Good Morning to you too. " he rolled his eyes, as he placed the food tray onto the bed. "Are you hungry?"

''Are you going to let me leave?'' I snarled.

Taking a daring step closer, he gave me a once-over that was just as insulting as his demeanor.

''Please, just let me go.'' I begged pathetically, cringing my eyes shut for a brief moment. I flinched back, when I felt a cold hand travel along the edges of my jaw. No matter how afraid I was, I couldn't ignore the overwhelming heat flooding through my veins.

''D-don't.'' I erupted, shoving him back hard.

A heavy puff of air escaped through the barrier of my lips, as my back collided with the wall suddenly, pinned there by the weight of Marcus's body pressing into my own. He grabbed me by the throat, but he didn't choke me, he just stared. Ice cold fury swirled in his forest green eyes, and I whimpered at the intensity of his heated glare. I tried to push him back, but he caught my hands and trapped them above my head.

''Just let me go.'' I repeated, making him let out a dark chuckle. I held my breath, as he lips brushed the shell of my ear. ''Never,'' He growled, in that deep, sultry voice of his.