VI. The Girl With The Polaroid

This is what you want, isn't it?❞ Marcus demanded, as his grip continued to tighten around my throat. I quickly shook my head, the heaviness in my chest a consist reminder that I had forgotten to breathe. My stomach felt as though it was tied in knots and pangs of shuddering wracked my body, the second Marcus's icy cold lips pressed against the crook of my neck. His tongue rolled with every word he purred. "I bet you'd taste the sweetest."

I tried to appear unaffected by his previous comment, but much to my dismay, a hue of red spread throughout my cheeks as they burned from embarrassment. ''Stop.'' I hissed.

With a slight tug of his mouth, Marcus's lips softened into a teasing pout. ''And what if I don't? Wouldn't it be extremely naughty of me, if I were to throw you down on that bed right now and bury my face deep between those pretty little thighs?'' His voice dropped to a deadly whisper, causing chills to immediately shoot down my spine. ''It's tempting, oh it really is, but unfortunately for you, I don't give out on the first date - my mother taught me better than that.''

I could tell he was just teasing, but that still didn't make it any better. "Don't you ever touch me!'' I spat, my hands balling up into tiny fist at my side.

''Why? You never told Sawyer that when he was drilling his fist into your face.'' It was like an old wound had been ripped open, and douched with a full bottle of alcohol. Tears gathered in the corners of my eyes, but I refused to give him the satisfaction of seeing me cry. ''In fact, you let him do it. You let him beat you, and you never once said a word to anyone. You liked it, didn't you?"

''Fuck you.'' I shouted.

"No, baby." He glared. "Fuck you."

"You don't know anything! Sawyer never wanted to hurt me.. He loved me, and I love him.''

''I don't think you understand how stupid you sound, right now.'' He snapped, glowering down at me. He slammed his fist into the wall right beside my head, causing a single piece of black hair to fall in front of his right eye.

''You don't know what you're talking about.'' I whispered, not understanding why I was even explaining myself to Marcus in the first place.

''I don't even think you really believe that."
Suddenly, he was grinning again. "No one cares about you as much as I do, not Kate, not Sawyer, not even your own mother."

The mention of Kate's name made me straighten up. I saw his mouth moving, but I didn't hear any words. My mind was too occupied by scrambled thoughts of Kate. I wanted to ask him about her, but a part of me was terrified of what his response might be. What if he hurt her, or worst? I could feel the bile rising in my throat, choking me in the process.

''W-what, what did you do to her?'' I finally managed to say. He didn't reply. "What did you do?'' I repeated, but this time my voice was stronger - almost a yell.

He dug into his back pocket, and pulled out something that looked to be a Polaroid picture

He dug into his back pocket, and pulled out something that looked to be a Polaroid picture. He hesitated a moment, an unreadable expression printed across his face. Handing me the picture, he watched as I stared down at it.

It was Kate.

But, it wasn't a picture of her beaming into the camera with that perfect smile of hers that seem to make everyone sigh with contentment. She wasn't smiling at all. If it weren't for the charm bracelet her parents had gotten her for her fifteenth birthday, I probably wouldn't have recognized her at all. It looked like someone had taken a brick, and bashed her skull in over and over and over again. She was encircled by blood; pooling on the forest floor. Her skin wasn't vibrant and glowing, like how it usually was, instead it was sickly pale, almost grey.

''I did it for you, Tori."