Chapter 31

"Ren?" Blake's voice was tainted with worry, as he wrapped his arms tighter around me.

He prevented me from moving, which was a good thing as I didn't want to accidentally move my leg again.

"Ren!" The door burst open, as my mother barged into the room, with Dr. Goode right behind her.

They both stopped in surprise, as they took in my current position still on Blake's lap. Both of them looked unsure of how to react.

"Alpha." Dr. Goode cleared his throat. "Luna shouldn't be moving yet. It would be better to set her back on the bed."

I had so many problems with the two simple sentences. I hated being called Luna and I despised being treated like an invalid. For Moon's sake, I was a warrior. I could take care of myself.

I didn't expect Blake to oblige the doctor's suggestion, so it took me by surprise as he carefully set me back onto the middle of the bed. He even covered me with the white sheet that was supposed to be a blanket.

"What's wrong? We heard your shout." Mom moved to the other side of the bed, looking just as worried as Blake.

"What the fuck's going on?" I ignored her question, as I wasn't in the mood to admit my weakness aloud. I was already angry enough with myself for screaming out in pain in the first place. How pathetic. "I should have been already partly healed by now. So, why the bloody hell does my injury still fucking hurt? What the hell did you do?"

I ignored my mom's wince at my colorful vocabulary. For once, she didn't try to scold me, as she already knew how my words got more menacing whenever I was in pain.

"The bullet you were shot with was laced with wolfsbane," Dr. Goode explained. "While I managed to get the bullet out, the wolfsbane is still in your system. And as you know, it slows down the healing process, so your injury will take much longer to heal. I'm afraid you'll have to spend at least a couple more days here."

"Nope. No way." Like hell was I going to be stuck inside this stuffy room. I already ached to be outside again.

To show them that the doctor's estimation was wrong, I threw the sheet off me. I was dressed in a pair of loose shorts, which allowed a good view of my bandaged thigh. The moment I tried to lift the leg, the same pain returned, leaving me out of breath. However, at least this time I managed to hold in the yelp of pain.

"Don't." Blake forced me to lie back down.

I glared at him, as he pulled the sheet back over my legs. This was stupid. I didn't need to stay in the hospital. I could heal very well on my own.

"You're not allowed to move, so just tell me if you need anything. Or you can tell Alpha Janson. I'm sure he won't mind." Mom took over the task of neatly folding the sheet over me.

"Like hell I will." I murmured before I closed my eyes.

This was all too annoying. All of them were. For me there was nothing worse than being forced to stay in bed with nothing to do.

A silent sigh escaped Mom's lips. "I guess some things never change."

I knew she was talking about me, but I didn't bother with either opening my eyes or replying. Ever since I could remember I had always been a bit irritable when I was forced to spend time off my feet. No matter if I had been injured or just plain sick, it always sucked for me. And the only way I could deal with it was to let out my frustration onto others.

To divert my attention Mom proceeded to update me on Hunter's state. He was still unconscious, but stable. It was all that mattered for now. I could worry about other things later.