Chapter 33

Blake and I both jumped apart at the masculine voice.

I knew that voice.

Faster than ever before, I whirled around and was met with the dark brown eyes of my closest friend. The grimace on his face almost ruined my mood, but I ignored it. He was fucking awake.

"Hunter!" I didn't even try to hide the relief and the happiness that exploded inside my body.

I had been too worried over him to play it cool right now. Especially since he woke up right after I told Blake I loved him for the first time. Damn, he had good timing.

I took a step closer to him, but my injured leg gave out underneath the pressure of my own weight. Luckily, my senses were back on track, so I was prepared to catch myself using my hands. Before I could even reach the floor, strong arms wrapped themselves around my waist. The sparks flying over my stomach told me everything I needed to know.

Blake lifted me back into a standing position and kept one arm around my waist; most likely to make sure I wouldn't fall again. Under normal circumstances I would've pushed him away with all the strength I possessed, but right now I knew I needed his support. I didn't want to make a spectacle of myself by falling onto my face.

With his free hand Blake pulled the chair, I had been occupying before, closer to the bed and then helped me sit down. For once, I didn't mind his attention.

"What's wrong Ren? What happened?" The worry in Hunter's voice laced his every word.

"I was shot, just like you." I explained once I was comfortably sitting on the chair again.

Blake positioned himself right behind me, with his hands resting on my shoulders. I wasn't sure if he was doing it to show Hunter I was his or to stop me from getting any closer to Hunter. Either way I wasn't enjoying his possessive side. I had never liked possessive men.

"I was shot? Is that way my back feels like it's on fire?" Hunter showed the first sign of discomfort, as he shifted around the bed.

I understood what kind of pain he was feeling and how much strength it took not to show it on the outside. Hell, even I cried out in pain the first time I moved. And my injury was only on my leg.

"Yes, you were shot in your back. The good news is that the bullet missed any vital organs or arteries, but the bad news is that the bullet had been laced with wolfsbane, making our healing process only a fraction faster than the healing abilities of a fucking human... I was shot in my leg, if you haven't figured it out yet." I pointed at my thigh to emphasize my point.

Hunter's eyes moved from my leg to me and then up to Blake. His eyes narrowed, as he took in my mate. I even caught his hands clenching into fists.

"Why the hell would one of your pack members hurt Ren? I get why you'd want to shoot me, but Ren? How the fuck could you allow your own pack to hurt her?!" Hunter's voice was raising, until he was almost shouting at the end of his string of accusations.

"My pack? The bastard was from your pack." Blake didn't raise his voice, but his strong grip on my shoulders told me he was getting close to losing his patience.

I guessed he didn't like his pack being shamed by another Alpha. Or maybe it was just because this particular Alpha happened to also be very close to me.

"What?" Hunter looked taken aback for a second, before his eyes narrowed again.

Before he could begin with another round of accusations, I stepped in. "He's telling the truth. Snider was the one who attacked us."

Hunter shook his head. "I know you and Snider never got along, but this is insane even for you. Snider is my Beta."

"I'm telling you the truth." It would be dangerous for him if he continued to blindly trust a snake like Snider. "Snider shot you in the back and then me... He would've killed me, if it weren't for Jaida. I looked him in the eyes, as he aimed the human gun at me, Hunt. I know what I saw."